Crimp Tool die or non die style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutNH

I'm looking to purchase a crimp tool set to be abel to install crimp connections on the end of larger feeders( 1/0 +) for terminations on and I am looking to see if anyone can explain the right type of crimp tool non die or die type?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I'm looking to purchase a crimp tool set to be abel to install crimp connections on the end of larger feeders( 1/0 +) for terminations on and I am looking to see if anyone can explain the right type of crimp tool non die or die type?

This is the best crimp tool I've ever used. Pretty salty though.
[h=1]Greenlee EK1240L-11 Cordless Crimping Tool[/h]
Zspxa3WwL8i77cP3S4r8YWbZz7A6mg7SlDB_fcgBKNEQgB-wt4JvOtzuqXxP2fFq-xHKy1dRp409V5zJv6VgxUUGcpKcvpgzCt6D7FczPXhspZ5i3UlJLZjH8i5OE9HEzS1dKuaL23Cq

Flex

Burndy sells a crimper with dies and crimps to match. We have the cordless crimper like the picture in the post above. Its fantastic so long as you have the matching crimps.

mike7330

If you don't need a crimper every day most electrical supply houses will rent or let you borrow theirs if you buy crimps from them. just a thought!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This is the best crimp tool I've ever used. Pretty salty though.
[h=1]Greenlee EK1240L-11 Cordless Crimping Tool[/h]
Zspxa3WwL8i77cP3S4r8YWbZz7A6mg7SlDB_fcgBKNEQgB-wt4JvOtzuqXxP2fFq-xHKy1dRp409V5zJv6VgxUUGcpKcvpgzCt6D7FczPXhspZ5i3UlJLZjH8i5OE9HEzS1dKuaL23Cq

Yea, we have a few of these. Not Greenlee, but that style. At $5000 each, not many people want to purchase one unless they use it at least once or twice a week. We use ours sometimes daily.

Even the hand pump tools are $3000. Many POCO's have these laying around because no one will use them with the introduction of the battery tools. Problem is, they won't get rid of them...

renosteinke

I thought that nowadays we HAD to use dies, and the dies had to stamp the crimp ... all so an inspector could tell if the right dies were used?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I thought that nowadays we HAD to use dies, and the dies had to stamp the crimp ... all so an inspector could tell if the right dies were used?

I thought that was only a spec they sometimes put on prints?

I guess we're both confused....:lol:

jdsmith

Some customers are picky about our terminations and will not accept die-less crimps on current-carrying connections. We are the same folks who specify two-hole lugs and long barrel compression lugs on current-carrying connections. We require compression lugs for grounding/bonding connections, but we do not require long barrel lugs or two hole lugs and we permit die-less crimpers to be used on grounding/bonding connections.

Before someone points it out, yes we know that ground/bonding is critical to clearing faults and shouldn't be neglected. The failure modes that we're trying to mitigate through the use of two hole bolted connections, long barrel lugs, and die type crimpers are all thermal failure modes that develop over time - in other words the failure is caused by many months or years of significant current flow through the connection. Grounding/bonding lugs see very short, occasional current flow and hence don't require some of the same design features since the same failure modes are not present.

Status
Not open for further replies.