Help on Bid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

Ok, I know some of you are going to say, know your cost etc, etc, but I have never bid on a new construction home before. I most do mostly small stuff and remodling work,service changes. I was ask to submit a bid on this new construction. Its 1681 finish sq ft. Where do I start to fiqure what I need, what do I charge per outlet. I just need a little direction. Please no negative stuff, I have no time for it.

resistance

Ok, I know some of you are going to say, know your cost etc, etc, but I have never bid on a new construction home before. I most do mostly small stuff and remodling work,service changes. I was ask to submit a bid on this new construction. Its 1681 finish sq ft. Where do I start to fiqure what I need, what do I charge per outlet. I just need a little direction. Please no negative stuff, I have no time for it.
To estimate a job, you will have to use your own professional experience. Which means: Make a list of all materials needed based on your knowledge of code and input from the customer or blue print (or all three). Example: You know each room will need receptacles placed per code. So, grab your print (If none was provided, then walk the house with a tape measure) , and include those outlets that need to be added. You will also have special request for more of—add them. It depends!!! I normally do a walk through with the customer, and we hit every space in the house. Some questions I ask—depending on the space: Quality of bathroom fan preferred (Example: Panasonic, or a basic Broan Fart fan). TV and phone in each room? Gas or electric appliances? Hood fan, or Micro hood? Heat pump? Back up generator? Dishwasher and disposal? Trash compactor? Recess can lights, or, if recess cans which type? Step lighting………You get the idea??? Use your experience!!!

resistance

PS: I don’t use a computer based estimating program. I do everything by hand, and it works really well for me. You just need to be detailed—specifically when it comes to large appliances. My contracts are also detailed, and will have clauses that will cover me, if I wasn’t told about a specific appliance or etc.. Example: The heat and cooling company didn’t tell the customer, or me that they will be installing an electric furnace, instead of the "gas type" that was planned.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

break it down, like this: service, include meter can, mast, weather head, hub, grounding bushings, grd rod, panel, breakers, etc. rough in. romex (use 250 or 1000 foot rolls if possible, it's cheaper that way. talk to (yes dude) Home depot, pro desk estimators, they will beat anyones price on material ( i know, i work there a couple nites and weekends) don't forget mark up, you can purchase a service (complete) mast , meter can, panels etc for around 700-900 bucks, sell it for 2.5 x, that's your labor and mark up. i worked long years and made no money, i wouldn't charge enough . don't sell your self short. when it comes to doing the job, i hang all boxes from a circuit layout, then i'd drill it like i'll pull it, it saves time and energy ( used to be 50 bucks an opening for new rough in, not including fixtures, or devices) check a "means book" for estimating, you won't get every job, but you won't pay for a company truck out of "your pocket" either. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.