Mountain Side Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know of a product listed to be ran on top of the ground coming down a mountain in the woods.
I have to run 400 feet , 480volt 200 amp down the side of a large hill that trenching or blasting is not an option. The hill is also dense woods with no kind of traffic.
I am struggling with this question because the NEC is addressing a few issues. Protection from physical damage, UV protection and means of support.
It just does not seem viable to run some type of conduit above the ground or rock unless it had 2 inches of concrete on top of it. The concrete is not an option either going up hill.
I am hoping for a magic answer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't see the Code allowing it, but I can't help but wonder if this would be a spot for type W Cable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No. I agree with your post #2.
That said, I've seen GRS conduit with support on the ground that has obviously lead a rough life.
I was just thinking aloud that a cable that is allowed on the surface of mines and sublet to traffic wold seem like a good product for the OPs application. I can't justify it by Code... just babbling (the drugs, I guess :) )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Oy Vey... Now that's a tough one.

mohonktower2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.