pricing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

When you charge say $50 an opening/outlet what all does that cover. Hanging,nailing a box, running wire,and trim work. Thanks

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
When you charge say $50 an opening/outlet what all does that cover. Hanging,nailing a box, running wire,and trim work. Thanks

You are better off taking the total scope of the work and putting a grand total price from start to finish.

iMuse97

That basic price includes a box, ring, devide and basic wire to the opening up to 20' of rope (or 1/2" emt and wire). Any specialty device (3-way switch, special recept, GFCI, on up) will be a higher charge. That price does not include wire to the breaker (home run) because that is included in the pricing you would develop for adding a circuit.

These are the kind of prices I'd use for new construction. Remodeling and service work pricing could be significantly more, especially if I have to access a bad crawl space or attic.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Agreements with Karl.

Cost anxiety occurs with owners more than employee / renters. Some kind of "NTE" beyond the "service-call minimum" can reduce anxiety, especially where clients feel some control of cost expectations, or responsibility for changing scope.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Agreements with Karl.

Cost anxiety occurs with owners more than employee / renters. Some kind of "NTE" beyond the "service-call minimum" can reduce anxiety, especially where clients feel some control of cost expectations, or responsibility for changing scope.
"NTE"??

nhfire77

Not To Exceed.

We use that in service contracts. For instance, customer's rep calls and wants service, we can spend up to the NTE prior to getting bean counter approval.

IMHO NTE's are great unless they're too low, then your paying for multiple trips when it can be fixed in on trip. I have one specific customer that has an NTE of $0. Yes zero, we have to go to the site, call their facility manager and get approval. It's a pita, but everything we do get run by the same guy, every time.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Not To Exceed.

We use that in service contracts. For instance, customer's rep calls and wants service, we can spend up to the NTE prior to getting bean counter approval.

IMHO NTE's are great unless they're too low, then your paying for multiple trips when it can be fixed in on trip. I have one specific customer that has an NTE of $0. Yes zero, we have to go to the site, call their facility manager and get approval. It's a pita, but everything we do get run by the same guy, every time.

Got it thanks ,,I should have known that..:lol:

guschash

imuse97 when you charge a set price per outlet/opening, how do charge for bring the sevice in. This is new conrtuction. I have a set price foe service work, do I just add that to the price per opening.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
imuse97 when you charge a set price per outlet/opening, how do charge for bring the sevice in. This is new conrtuction. I have a set price foe service work, do I just add that to the price per opening.

You need to ad up all your costs and give a grand total price.

Pricing things in a per opening mannor will leed to haggling and make your life much harder.

resistance

Got it thanks ,,I should have known that..:lol:
Good luck, as the market has changed!!! Many—including some union companies—aren’t playing fair. They are under biding. I get most or all of my work through referrals, while new customers learn of me through other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.