Receptacle for a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know of a receptacle and cord cap that is rated 60A ,20HP 3 phase other than a pin and sleeve receptacle, that would be a little more cost effective for connecting a chop saw.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the plug is not being used as the motor disconnect, then it does not need to be HP rated.
How will you prevent them from not unplugging a running motor?

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
This is a self contained chop saw on a rolling platform to be able to roll to the wire rope cable. It will need to be able to be wired so as to move it to other locations of the facility. I am open for suggestions

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a self contained chop saw on a rolling platform to be able to roll to the wire rope cable. It will need to be able to be wired so as to move it to other locations of the facility. I am open for suggestions
Spend the money on a pin & sleeve. Or, even spring for an interlocked receptacle and switch, where the plug can not be removed unless switch is off.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery

How many locations are you planning on operating this saw at?

hurk27

I cannot imagine unpluging a 20HP motor while it is running.

I would feel better unplugging a 20hp motor that is not under a load then to plug in a 20hp motor that will always be lock rotor current, but at least it has a contactor with a stop start circuit which means it will always be off when plugging it in, but I also agree that a safety switch should always be located just ahead of the receptacles and you never know if there will happen to be a short that happened when moving the saw, I have never liked to plug in any 480 volt or 240 volt high current plug with the receptacle energized, I have seen the burnt hands of a couple people who have when the cord shorted out since the last time it was plugged in, not a good thing, almost all the plants I have worked at had safety switches just ahead of the receptacle and it was always required to be off when plugging in or removing the plug.

Last edited:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Not sure how fast you need to cut your wire rope, but it would probably be all around cheaper if you dropped down to a 10 HP motor and just cut slower.

I've cut and made up plenty of slings with nothing more than a 5 HP Radiac saw and never thought of the cutting part of the operation as slow

hurk27

when we restrung our over head cranes out at Allied structural steel we had small porta-power like cutting systems with a separate crimping head that just looked like a large version of the hydraulic cable cutters we use today they would just wheel it over to the crane I remember they use the crane to restring the new cable with the old cable somehow cant quite remember just how it was done.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I think I will put a Disconnect ahead of the pin an sleeve. Thanks everyone for all your inputs

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I think I will put a Disconnect ahead of the pin an sleeve. Thanks everyone for all your inputs

Not sure where you are at, but if you are anywhere near South Jersey you might want to take a look down this guy's place

Joseph Fazzio Inc
transparent.png

2900 Glassboro Cross Keys Rd, Glassboro, NJ 08028
(856) 881-3185 ‎josephfazzioinc.com

I
t's over 20 acres of steel, industrial equipment, hardware, building supplies, construction equipment, tools,,,,,

New, used, surplus. You never know what you might find. It's like a candy store.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Had another question on the size of the breaker for a 20hp at nameplate amps of 46A at 240V.
Using table amps at 54A x 250%= 135A. I can only use a 100A breaker because of the load center can only accept a max of 100A breakers. Do you all think a 100A breaker would be suffient for this application.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Had another question on the size of the breaker for a 20hp at nameplate amps of 46A at 240V.
Using table amps at 54A x 250%= 135A. I can only use a 100A breaker because of the load center can only accept a max of 100A breakers. Do you all think a 100A breaker would be suffient for this application.
This is just a belt drive abrasive saw, isn't it?They are fairly low inertia. Move it over by the panel and try it. If it holds for the start it should be ok during cutting.The code doesn't specify a min size on the breaker does it? Is this your shop, isn't it?

Last edited:

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
No this is not my shop. Yes this is a belt driven saw. Its a customer of mind. I just want to be able to let them know the circumstances with the start up of this saw, and the system they have. I feel like they should of purchased a 10HP saw. They purchased without asking if the facility could handle this 20Hp. It can handle it if a 100A breaker will allow start up.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
No this is not my shop. Yes this is a belt driven saw. Its a customer of mind. I just want to be able to let them know the circumstances with the start up of this saw, and the system they have. I feel like they should of purchased a 10HP saw. They purchased without asking if the facility could handle this 20Hp. It can handle it if a 100A breaker will allow start up.

Yeah a 10 would be plenty for cutting wire rope, and a whole lot of other things. Is it a brand new saw?

If it's a used saw I would suggest putting a 10 HP motor on it. It would probably be cheaper than upgrading their electrical system to handle the 20 HP. You would end up with about 300 in plugs and recepticals as compared to about 1800 bucks for the pin & sleeve stuff.

The feed on this thing is just a handle isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.