Breaker Handle ties requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

The inspectors in my area are requiring handle ties for MWBC for panel change outs or service upgrades. I have no problem doing it. Has anyone else seen this requirement by their AHJ?
:bye:

iwire

Staff member
I am doing a reno job in an office building that was built under the 2002 NEC, it has many MWBC furniture feeds.

Long story short the furniture is being replaced and now the inspector says I must handle tie the existing circuits we will reuse.

I feel he is over reaching but I will not fight it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We require it on service changes. I would not require it if you were using existing circuits, but I do require it for all new circuits.

The thing is too, unless it's cable, is that you have a hard time complying with 210.4(D) when asking them to upgrade existing circuits.

paul

I am doing a reno job in an office building that was built under the 2002 NEC, it has many MWBC furniture feeds.

Long story short the furniture is being replaced and now the inspector says I must handle tie the existing circuits we will reuse.

I feel he is over reaching but I will not fight it.

Wasn't a MWBC furniture feed required to be tied together in 2002? I'm thinking that change came in with the 1996 code cycle for furniture. Maybe that was a WA state requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.