Need some help with Romex (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Ok, so I got the part where if I go outside the building I need to use UF cable, even if it's just going into a box outside(right from behind the wall), or even if I sleeve it 2-3' down the outside wall.
I'm doing a house right now that has 6 sliding doors, each with 2 lights and a receptacle outside. Walls are mason blocks.
Can I just install the UF cable through the wall into the box outside? Untill now I had mostly places where I had one or two boxes outside, so it wasn't a big deal to install a short piece of conduit through the block and sleeve the rommex. But with 20 on this job I'd like to be able to just install the UF through the wall. Not to mention 4-5 of the mason blocks between the windows and doors are only 14" wide, so in order to make room for the conduit sweep I'd need break the blocks quite a bit. I'd rather just make a 1/2" hole.

480sparky

Ok, so I got the part where if I go outside the building I need to use UF cable, even if it's just going into a box outside(right from behind the wall),

Actually, no. If you are going straight into the box, you're not using a raceway, and raceways used in exterior apps is where you cannot use NM

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As kwird states you can use UF anywhere NM is allowed.
It may be a mistake, but inspectors in this area accept NM that is routed into the back of outside boses and enclosures.
From your question, I started an associated poll.

tkb

As kwird states you can use UF anywhere NM is allowed.
It may be a mistake, but inspectors in this area accept NM that is routed into the back of outside boses and enclosures.

Why do you think it is a mistake?
Do you have a code reference that prohibits this?

resistance

Why do you think it is a mistake?
Do you have a code reference that prohibits this?
I have the same question. And I’ve never seen one that would. But each area may have a different set of rules!

but inspectors in this area accept NM that is routed into the back of outside boses and enclosures.
They do the same here, but I don’t think they have a chose—as it’s code complaint for our area.

cmreschke

Is not the box considered to be in a wet or damp location if it is exterior? If so imo I think Nm is not allowed.

cmreschke

According to 2008 nec code update class which I was required to take and I'm staring at picture in book 334.12(b)(4) Nm and nms shall not be permitted in wet or damp locations. We were taught no longer could you run romex to outside boxes for the same reason you could not rough a house without a finished roof and similar protection from the outdoor elements.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
According to 2008 nec code update class which I was required to take and I'm staring at picture in book 334.12(b)(4) Nm and nms shall not be permitted in wet or damp locations. We were taught no longer could you run romex to outside boxes for the same reason you could not rough a house without a finished roof and similar protection from the outdoor elements.

I would agree that this is technically correct under the new rules that spell out that the interior of raceways, etc are wet locations. I've not yet seen it enforced in our area AHJ's.
Jumper raises a good point about 3R load centers. Come to think of it, it raises all kinds of questions....wire nuts, terminals, etc. Where does all this end?

cmreschke

I can agree there and I also believe that the same article which I cited is really intended for not running it exteriorilly (new word alert) I feel it is retarted to not be able to stub a wire out to a brick box. Again we are just trying to make this world as safe as possible and then some. Let's all live in bubbles and make cars and buildings out of need so no one can get hurt.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I would agree that this is technically correct under the new rules that spell out that the interior of raceways, etc are wet locations. I've not yet seen it enforced in our area AHJ's.
Jumper raises a good point about 3R load centers.
NM is not permitted in wet or damp locations, but only the inside of a raceway is spelled out as a wet location.

Come to think of it, it raises all kinds of questions....wire nuts, terminals, etc. Where does all this end?
It doesn't end. Every three years we're sure to get at least one brand new rule to solve a problem that didn't exist.

resistance

Jumper raises a good point about 3R load centers. Come to think of it, it raises all kinds of questions....wire nuts, terminals, etc. Where does all this end?
It never ends! If it does, then ???.No comment!!! Don?t want to get political.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Actually, no. If you are going straight into the box, you're not using a raceway, and raceways used in exterior apps is where you cannot use NM

Are you saying that you can not go through a wall into a box ,or disconnect and with Romex?

cmreschke

The situation I believe it not to be a violation would be a box already installed in brick where you can terminate said cable and then hang device or fixture within minutes of installing cable or you pit a wp plate on the box that is only way I can think of to not be violated for this rule again it is retarted

resistance

Are you saying that you can not go through a wall into a box ,or disconnect and with Romex?
480spark is correct. I believe 480spark is saying: 1. An NM cable can go through a wall directly into an exterior box. Note: This is being done everyday all day, for areas that allow NM and SE-R cable. 2. NM cannot be used in raceways outside. Or outside at all.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
IDK, Can I? Is the small gap a wet location? Does caulk solve this?

I think that if you are going into a type 3R enclosure then that should not be considered a wet location.

I do not know any Electrical inspectors that would make you come out in UF cable..

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
480spark is correct. I believe 480spark is saying: 1. An NM cable can go through a wall directly into an exterior box. Note: This is being done everyday all day, for areas that allow NM and SE-R cable. 2. NM cannot be used in raceways outside. Or outside at all.

I agree,,

It is done all he time...

Status
Not open for further replies.