small portable generato

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I have a customer who wants a small generator of 2000 watts, just to power one sump pump and couple of lites in garage. Do we need to install this item through a transfer switch? or they could be installed just with extension cords? Thanks

maghazadeh

I have a customer who wants a small generator of 2000 watts, just to power one sump pump and couple of lites in garage. Do we need to install this item through a transfer switch? or they could be installed just with extension cords? Thanks

For such a small generator, which must likely would not start by itself, need someone to start it, then you need at least a manual transfer switch. That could be a simple double through sw, 1 pole or 2 poles.

maghazadeh

Extension cord is fine, if there is no chance normal power and the gen power would try to power the load at same time.

maghazadeh

yeah he wants to starts it manually. Are there Transfer switches for 2 circuits?

Yes, you can get a 30 amp, 2 pole, double through safety switch either nema 1 enclosure for indoor installation or nema 3R for outdoor. This will be the least expensive way to transfer from utility power to Gen power.

RESI

Mtn- I would install a interlock kit in the main panel and a generator inlet box outside the house. This would give the person the ability to power up other circuits in the main panel.

kwired

Electron manager
On this small of a setup I have suggested to customer that he run a cord to generator when power goes off, plug in refrigerator and droplite.

Same here. 2000 watt will not run much at all if connected to main panel, why not just run drop cord to whatever is wanted to be used - you can not use much at one time anyway.

To OP: plug sump pump into generator - run drop cord to portable light in garage, charge customer an arm and leg for this too:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.