LFMC whip slack and appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Picture a stand by gen placed 5' from a house, when factory installed whip and j-box are stretched to the house there is very little slack, not even sure there's enough slack to throw a strap on it. If able to do even that the whip would be pulled even tighter. Personally I don't like the look of it, not to mention the j-box would be only about 3' above ground. What to do here,

A) Just mount the j-box and forget it
B) Put in a 6x6 post half way between house and gen, mount a new j-box on house, pipe down from there underground to 6x6 post, mount factory j-box on post.
C) Lengthen factory whip and conductors

Not sure if there's a straight or a 90 degree connector coming off the gen, changing a straight to a 90 could help. What do you guys think, any suggestions?

Last edited:

mark32

Okay, here is a pic of the installation-to-be. Now forget my questions above, just tell me would you guys be fine with mounting the j-box right where it is, or close to it, and call it a day?

2012-02-10 12.42.59.jpg

jumper

It is less than 6 ft, correct? Seems legal

356.10 Uses Permitted. LFNC shall be permitted to be used
in exposed or concealed locations for the following purposes:

(5) Type LFNC-B shall be permitted to be installed in
lengths longer than 1.8 m (6 ft) where secured in accordance
with 356.30.

356.12 (3) In lengths longer than 1.8 m (6 ft), except as permitted
by 356.10(5) or where a longer length is approved as
essential for a required degree of flexibility

kwired

Electron manager
but, is it legal?

If properly supported yes - I believe 1 foot from terminations and every three feet in this case.

Why does it need to be a "whip"? Would look a lot nicer if you were to dig a trench and place in the ground - even if that means using RNC or GRC or something else.

These are the little things that make it a professional install instead of like what was mentioned in another current thread - "any monkey can install it"

mike7330

Good luck getting your straps on the LFMC. I can't believe they cut the curb, installed a nice concrete pad and they couldn't install some underground pvc. I would like to see what happens to the LFMC over time when kids climb on it, gardeners trip over it. It looks to homemoanerish to install the LFMC that way :(

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Okay, here is a pic of the installation-to-be. Now forget my questions above, just tell me would you guys be fine with mounting the j-box right where it is, or close to it, and call it a day?

View attachment 6451

too much room between house and pad... people will walk there, it's a trip hazard, and will
get ripped loose right after homeowner trips over it and breaks his neck. I'd dig myself a little ditch
and bend a piece of pipe to go across, and use a foot of sealtight to connect....

mark32

Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions, this is a standby generator and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions it had to be placed 5' from any window, which as you can see put us partially into the driveway. What you can't see in the photo are a couple of bollards protecting the gen from an unaware driver.
As I expressed in the first post, I don't want to install it as you see it but thought I was being picky about it, that's why I posted and I see everyone agrees with me, it looks unprofessional. I'll likely do as I noted in option B)

Thanks bros

dieselram752

The good thing is you can get the weed wacker in there without hitting the flex.
I think that I would leave it alone and let it swing if you can stand the look or bury the wires in a pvc and use a small chunk of flex at the gen side.

frankft2000

To answer some questions, this is a standby generator and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions it had to be placed 5' from any window,

Thanks bros

I hate this. The manufacture wants the generator 5' from the house, then give you about 5' of slack in the flex. Most of these generators have a 30 foot whip of metallic inside flex, but that can't be run underground, and it has a factory wiring harness with big plugs on it that can't be pulled back through the flex or into conduit or anything, so you have to cut the harness and make a splice, which probably voids the warranty, ...or you can just mount the box with the liquidtight just stretched out. Basicly a loose, loose situation with these.

ritelec

B) Put in a 6x6 post half way between house and gen, mount a new j-box on house, pipe down from there underground to 6x6 post, mount factory j-box on post.

Why the post?

You want to keep the manufactures whip?

From the unit......liquidtight to pipe... underground....up to box on wall.????

mark32

I hate this. The manufacture wants the generator 5' from the house, then give you about 5' of slack in the flex. Most of these generators have a 30 foot whip of metallic inside flex, but that can't be run underground, and it has a factory wiring harness with big plugs on it that can't be pulled back through the flex or into conduit or anything, so you have to cut the harness and make a splice, which probably voids the warranty, ...or you can just mount the box with the liquidtight just stretched out. Basicly a loose, loose situation with these.

You are correct sir, what you've described is exactly what I've got here and yes I have to extend the FMC coming from the transfer switch to the gen's j-box.

Ritelec, as Frank described, there are these factory plugs for the control wiring that would connect (From the gen and the transfer sw) in that j-box you see in the pic I posted. Having said that I'd like to keep the factory whip and use those plugs not to mention the generator conductors would likely come up short if I went underground with them.

ritelec

Ritelec, as Frank described, there are these factory plugs for the control wiring that would connect (From the gen and the transfer sw) in that j-box you see in the pic I posted.

Not knowing.........but instead of going a few feet to the post then back out........could you loop (wind up) that whip and mount the box on the unit, then go out underground to the house,
no post, no trip etc..
just asking.

KVA

I would put in a 6x6 right against the corner of the pad with a jbox on it. Pvc from disc underground and up to jbox and short whip out of jbox to gen.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Do those residential generators come with a whip and box already attached, you just screw it to the wall? Or with a whip and box seperate?

Makes a guy wonder why they don't provide something like a 10-15' whip and let the EC cut it to length? What am I missing?

mark32

Not knowing.........but instead of going a few feet to the post then back out........could you loop (wind up) that whip and mount the box on the unit, then go out underground to the house,
no post, no trip etc..
just asking.

Or stick the post next to the pad???

that's all.

I would put in a 6x6 right against the corner of the pad with a jbox on it. Pvc from disc underground and up to jbox and short whip out of jbox to gen.

I like this idea, although I just spoke with the gc and he'd like to put in a post of his own, half way between the gen and house, so he can support his gas line. Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.