GFCI protection for light switch near sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

protagonist

Here's what I got: an ancient small bath with the overhead light switch by the sink. We're adding a GFCI outlet, and since the switch for the vanity light we're also adding is in the same box, we should protect the vanity light circuit because it's easy to do feeding it from the load side of the GFCI. This idea comes from the fact that the state rental inspectors come with magnets to test that the plate screws on that switch are plastic not metal, with the idea that somehow that metal screw can get energized. So while everything is open, it occurs to me I can feed the ceiling light from that GFCI also instead of the general circuit it's now on. Our reading of code says that as long as the 20A line is only to that one bathroom we can feed the outlet & lights from it.

Searching has led me nowhere on this one, answers are all over the place including "good idea" "there's no way for a switch to get energized" and "it's against code because all the lights in the bath will go out in a fault".

Is this unnecessary caution, dumb, smart, illegal, or what?

svh19044

Your interpretation of the code is correct in that you can use the dedicated circuit for the lights as well, so long as it is only for that bathroom. They do not need to be gfci protected though.

But magnets and plastic screws????? Ha, go nj. Get yourself a screwless cover plate and see what the inspector does with his magnet...with metal screws that are under the plastic.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI not needed but not prohibited. Use it if you want.

Inspectors need to find out if screws are metal, is understandable, and if so then whether or not they are grounded.

Easy way to test for ground it non contact volt tester. Turn switch on and hold next to switch yoke and/or cover screws or even metal cover. If not grounded it will alarm same as when it detects voltage.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see no reason for concern or a requirment for GFCI protection of the switch that is properly grounded.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Here's what I got: an ancient small bath with the overhead light switch by the sink. We're adding a GFCI outlet, and since the switch for the vanity light we're also adding is in the same box, we should protect the vanity light circuit because it's easy to do feeding it from the load side of the GFCI. This idea comes from the fact that the state rental inspectors come with magnets to test that the plate screws on that switch are plastic not metal, with the idea that somehow that metal screw can get energized. So while everything is open, it occurs to me I can feed the ceiling light from that GFCI also instead of the general circuit it's now on. Our reading of code says that as long as the 20A line is only to that one bathroom we can feed the outlet & lights from it.

Searching has led me nowhere on this one, answers are all over the place including "good idea" "there's no way for a switch to get energized" and "it's against code because all the lights in the bath will go out in a fault".

Is this unnecessary caution, dumb, smart, illegal, or what?

Use stainless steal screws and the inspectors magnets wont work...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.