Why is residential wiring known as single phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

3) Two voltages with a 0? displacement or two voltages with a 180? displaced are available to be taken from the transformer because they map to the same physical space.
In addition to center tap 120/240v transformer supplied homes,where two voltages with a 0? displacement or two voltages with a 180? displaced are available,in homes supplied with 120v only, one voltage with a 0? displacement and another voltage with a 180? displaced can also be derived from the same 120V supply.There is no logical inconsistency here.What is your opinion?

pfalcon

Yes it can. But it requires additional circuitry to do so
See, this is the frustrating point for me. You quote me as:

But it requires additional circuitry to do so
Leaving off the

Yes it can.
Thereby implying I don't think those voltages are available.

That does not mean those voltages are not available.
It's frustrating that you keep trying to write disagreement into my quotes for me.

YOU AND I AGREE! to the depth you discuss this circuit.

And when you state the depth of your analysis as you did in the quote that prompted that quote: I reply as I did with the word YES!

You're stuck Mivey. You can't analyze this circuit deeper than you've gone. The trees are in the way. You're frame of reference is superficial to the circuit. It can never explain the OP answer even though you know the answer and have stated it before. It's a single phase from one end of the secondary coil to the other. It is what it is. But with a reference probe stuck on the neutral there is no experiment, math, or observation that can disprove that it works as two opposing phases. It's a property of AC voltage dividers. Pick a point inside the ends and you have two usable opposing phases each with an amplitude that scales with the distance from the coil ends. They're there. They're usable. They're mathematically sound. They're observationally sound. And yet in reality they're still not two phases. Just two ends of the same phase.

mivey

Kindly give (illustrated ) evidence for your statement in bold letters above.It has truly educational value.
I'm pretty sure I have in prior threads. Not sure if I can find it at the moment but surely you can picture this with an impedeance imbalance. The extreme example of course is the two-diode full-wave rectifier where the resulting winding currents are in opposite directions.

The point I'm getting at is that the reactions in the two windings are not duplicates of each other. The flux in each half can most certainly be different. This does not happen when the neutral is not present (i.e. a two-wire circuit). There is nothing that constrains the voltages and reactions to be exactly the same and in actual practice they rarely are.

pfalcon

That's where we disagree. We have two non-displaced voltages but we also have two voltages that really are displaced.
Nonsense statement. You have a continuous voltage gradient from one end of the secondary coil to the other. You can tap and reference in all sorts of different ways but their relationship will always reflect the gradient.

The instantaneous direction of forces in the coil under resistive loading conditions is a different issue.
No it isn't. Which is one of the reasons why you're not grasping this. Without looking at instantaneous force directions this circuit cannot be understood.

Remember that I can produce a single-phase direction of forces in two series coils using source voltages that are physically displaced by 180? (two 180? displaced voltage phases having their forces in the coils aligned). Then, we can use this as a single-phase source. In that case, the sources and the the use of the voltages from the sources are different.
Only in theory where loads don't create lead or lag. Only in theory where noise doesn't hit the circuit. Then this "equivalent" build proves it's not really equivalent.

The sister case is also true where I can use the single-phase source to produce two voltages physically displaced by 180?. The systems of voltage are mirror images of each other. There is nothing that magically makes one of the voltage sets disappear. The simple fact is that both voltage sets are physically there for use and the case of physical displacement is really there. Nothing mysterious about it as it is simply what is physically there.
A property of an AC voltage divider. Pick a point inside the ends and you have two usable opposed voltages. But it's still just an AC voltage divider. And the two endpoints at any given instance in time are nothing more than a continuous voltage gradient. In reality, this divider circuit is far more useful than the ideal build above because the entire phase is always affected by changes.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I'm pretty sure I have in prior threads. Not sure if I can find it at the moment but surely you can picture this with an impedeance imbalance. The extreme example of course is the two-diode full-wave rectifier where the resulting winding currents are in opposite directions.

The point I'm getting at is that the reactions in the two windings are not duplicates of each other. The flux in each half can most certainly be different. This does not happen when the neutral is not present (i.e. a two-wire circuit). There is nothing that constrains the voltages and reactions to be exactly the same and in actual practice they rarely are.

You mean the total current in the neutral can double in some cases?

It can not be.No matter whatever the imbalances in the load impedances across the secondary,the neutral current is always the difference of two currents in the hot conductors.

Please prove me wrong,if you can!

mivey

See, this is the frustrating point for me
It's frustrating that you keep trying to write disagreement into my quotes for me.

YOU AND I AGREE! to the depth you discuss this circuit.
I think you and I certainly agree on the particle physics. But we do not agree on the use of the word "phase". A phase is a point on an AC waveform. If a circuit has two currents with phases that are different at a given instant, then we technically have two phases present in the circuit. This can't happen with a two-wire circuit but certainly can with a three-wire circuit. That is a disagreement we have on definition.

And yet in reality they're still not two phases. Just two ends of the same phase.
We certainly do not agree here because that is based on a single direction choice being a given and AC is bi-directional. How is it that you can't see that the two phases from my phase-opposed generators are producing one phase voltage in one direction across the two windings but that there are still two phase voltages out from (or into) the common point of the windings? In reality there are also two phases present. My position is that both cases are true because they physically map to the same space.

So, in one direction across ungrounded-ungrounded there is one phase. But it is also true that with a different direction (call it into Earth or out of Earth for example) there are two phases. Both share the same space and both are physically true.

mivey

Nonsense statement. You have a continuous voltage gradient from one end of the secondary coil to the other. You can tap and reference in all sorts of different ways but their relationship will always reflect the gradient.
Your insistance that it is uni-directional is not true.

No it isn't. Which is one of the reasons why you're not grasping this. Without looking at instantaneous force directions this circuit cannot be understood.
And without understanding that "positive direction" is a choice you will not understand why the instantaneous details do not contradict what I have said.

Only in theory where loads don't create lead or lag. Only in theory where noise doesn't hit the circuit. Then this "equivalent" build proves it's not really equivalent.
The circuit proves that what we call the positive (or zero degree) direction is strictly a choice we make and not dictated by the physical apparatus.

...And the two endpoints at any given instance in time are nothing more than a continuous voltage gradient...
And the direction of the voltage gradient is a choice. It is not a given that the positive voltage gradient must be in one direction across the winding. It is a choice made by convenience or other reasons but it is still a choice. There is no universal positive direction. That goes back to the very definition of voltage we learned in physics long ago.

pfalcon

We certainly do not agree here because that is based on a single direction choice being a given and AC is bi-directional. .
Only, at any given instance in time it's Uni-directional. Over time it will move in both directions. But it's never going two ways at once. Therefore it's not truly bi-directional.

rattus

I didn't say it had to be reduced - simply that it validly can be when it is the argument of a periodic function.

But why reduce it at all?

Seems to me that when determining the phase of a waveform, we must consider the position of the waveform as I understand the definition. Consider,

sin(wt + 180) = -sin(wt)

The plot of this function, from either expression, is a shifted sine wave, and the phase is,

ph2 = (wt + 180)

we can't have it both ways.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Not sure where you are getting that from.

From this

If not so,what do you mean exactly?

mivey

Over time it will move in both directions. But it's never going two ways at once. Therefore it's not truly bi-directional.
Agreed. Bi-directional may not be the best word but I don't feel like finding a better word at the moment, especially since you get what I meant.

mivey

If not so,what do you mean exactly?
Half of the time, the current in the first winding is in one direction while the current in the second winding is zero. The other half of the time, the current in the second winding is in the opposite direction from what we saw before and the current in the first winding is now zero.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Half of the time, the current in the first winding is in one direction while the current in the second winding is zero. The other half of the time, the current in the second winding is in the opposite direction from what we saw before and the current in the first winding is now zero.
Unfortunately it proves nothing.

pfalcon

Your insistance that it is uni-directional is not true.
Interesting that you jumped from the fact that at any given instance the coil is a voltage gradient to "Bi-directional".
AC is "Unidirectional at any given instance of time". AC is "Bidirectional" over time. Therefore it always has a direction.

And without understanding that "positive direction" is a choice you will not understand why the instantaneous details do not contradict what I have said.
Until you understand that "instantaneous" direction is important you'll never understand why assigning an arbitrary direction has meaning and they do contradict what you've said.

The circuit proves that what we call the positive (or zero degree) direction is strictly a choice we make and not dictated by the physical apparatus.
Only under ideal conditions. A state you continually protest doesn't exist. Except now it seems it's convenient for you.

And the direction of the voltage gradient is a choice. It is not a given that the positive voltage gradient must be in one direction across the winding. It is a choice made by convenience or other reasons but it is still a choice. There is no universal positive direction. That goes back to the very definition of voltage we learned in physics long ago.
Now here's an attempt by you to build another safe haven. Since AC always has an instantaneous direction it's important to understand which way things are flowing at any given instance. Assigning a direction as "Positive" is no different than assigning neutral to "0V". The choice of direction is arbitrary but important to understand just as the voltage at neutral is arbitrary but important to understand. Analysis can't take place without a reference frame. There may be no "universal" direction but there certainly is a direction for reference, just as there is a 0V value for voltage reference. Both arbitrary, both essential. And you knew better than to spout that nonsense.

mivey

AC is "Bidirectional" over time. Therefore it always has a direction.
That's right. It can produce forces that are opposite in direction at 180? displacements.

Until you understand that "instantaneous" direction is important
Did not say it wasn't important, just that it was not contradictory to my position.

you'll never understand why assigning an arbitrary direction has meaning and they do contradict what you've said.
If you think they contradict, then you do not understand what I have said. Evidently, I have not been able to get you to read what I am actually saying.

Only under ideal conditions. A state you continually protest doesn't exist. Except now it seems it's convenient for you.
The discussion continually swings from the ideal to the actual and I focus on the topic at hand. Discussing one does not prevent discussion of the other.

Now here's an attempt by you to build another safe haven. Since AC always has an instantaneous direction it's important to understand which way things are flowing at any given instance.
I do understand, in great detail. I am well versed in physics, math, and circuit theory; above average I would say.

Assigning a direction as "Positive" is no different than assigning neutral to "0V". The choice of direction is arbitrary but important to understand just as the voltage at neutral is arbitrary but important to understand. Analysis can't take place without a reference frame. There may be no "universal" direction but there certainly is a direction for reference, just as there is a 0V value for voltage reference. Both arbitrary, both essential.
Ok, so we agree that the direction is a choice so what's the problem?

And you knew better than to spout that nonsense.
If it is nonsense, why repeat it in agreeement?

Status
Not open for further replies.