Island With Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have an island that has a sink in the center of it. Does Figure 210.52(C)(1) apply or does 210.52(C)(4) apply? I realize I must have 2 receptacles installed but do they have to be within 24" of the sink? The receptacles would be much more useful further away from the sink.

Hendrix

I have an island that has a sink in the center of it. Does Figure 210.52(C)(1) apply or does 210.52(C)(4) apply? I realize I must have 2 receptacles installed but do they have to be within 24" of the sink? The receptacles would be much more useful further away from the sink.
I think that 210.52 (C)(4)(1) would apply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How much space is there behind the sink? If it's 12" or more then the island is considered one space. Less than 12" it's considered two separate spaces.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
How much space is there behind the sink? If it's 12" or more then the island is considered one space. Less than 12" it's considered two separate spaces.

Rob, there is only 6" of space behind the sink so therefore I need a receptacle on each side. I know if this wasn't an island I'd need to have a receptacle within 24" on each side of the sink but wasn't sure with the island scenario.

jumper

2011 NEC wording is more definite.

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by
rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as
separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of
210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or
sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and
the depth of the countertop behind the range, countermounted
cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.),
the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be
considered to divide the countertop space into two separate
countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall
comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think this change in the 2011 was billed as a clarification, not a change:

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I think this change in the 2011 was billed as a clarification, not a change:

So apparantly the receptacles on the island are required to be within 24" of the sink? I there was no sink and the island was 12' long, I could get by with only one receptacle anywhere within the island?

emf10

210.52 C(1) only applies to wall countertop spaces. Since this is essentially two islands (divided by the sink), you should be able to place the receptacles anywhere on the islands.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.52(C) applies to islands but nothing in there states that we need recep within 2' of a sink. That is 210.52(A)(1). Just put the recep. anywhere on that space within 12" of the top.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210.52 C(1) only applies to wall countertop spaces. Since this is essentially two islands (divided by the sink), you should be able to place the receptacles anywhere on the islands.

I agree. First you determine if the sink makes the island one space or two spaces then place your receptacle(s) accordingly.

cmreschke

Why does it matter where the sink is located in the island? It's still only 1 island and only 1 receptacle is required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Lol Nm I just read why. That is 2011 nec correct? I'm in 08

Here's the 2008 wording:

210.52(C) Countertops. In kitchens, pantries, breakfast rooms, dining rooms, and similar areas of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for countertop spaces shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5).
Where a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the width of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces as defined in 210.52(C)(4). Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

Status
Not open for further replies.