service entrance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4T

That is a POCO ruling.. some places have SE cable running out of the bottom of the MP and exposed till it goes through hole into the basement.. :eek:hmy:

We use either PVC or EMT.. and a sill plate..

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Can you use anything besides RMC from the meter outside, to the panel inside? I couldn't find anything saying it HAD to be RMC only.
Thank you.
Back in 1974 my boss was RMC all the way on service changes even at that time he could have used se cable but to him "NO WAY".

In fact i did the same thing till 2003 when a stick of 2" RMC went from $14 to $62 over night so i do them all in PVC now.

But RMC is not required by the NEC otherwise you would never see an SE CABLE SERVICE.

Welcome to the forum...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

resistance

Back in 1974 my boss was RMC all the way on service changes even at that time he could have used se cable but to him "NO WAY".

In fact i did the same thing till 2003 when a stick of 2" RMC went from $14 to $62 over night so i do them all in PVC now.

But RMC is not required by the NEC otherwise you would never see an SE CABLE SERVICE.

Welcome to the forum...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
From a single meter only to the main—where the meter is mounted on the structure-we cannot use SE cable. We have to use conduit. And this conduit cannot be ran inside the structure over 15 feet

Rock Crusher

Next question is:
Can you use FMC or LFMC? The panel is about 5 feet, diagonally, from the meter and one of those would work great. The other options wouldn't make the bends. Already moving the panel, but the meter is above a window opening in the basement (old house), so anything rigid isn't working. It would be ran inside the wall to get to the panel or through the floor joist.
Thanks

jumper

Next question is:
Can you use FMC or LFMC? The panel is about 5 feet, diagonally, from the meter and one of those would work great. The other options wouldn't make the bends. Already moving the panel, but the meter is above a window opening in the basement (old house), so anything rigid isn't working. It would be ran inside the wall to get to the panel or through the floor joist.
Thanks

RC, did you look at the section Don cited and note he said check your local codes?

Rock Crusher

I was posting these questions from my phone at work, so I didn't have my code book with me. Now I feel like I should have looked before posting the last question.:huh:
Thanks for all the input and help.

Last edited:

Rock Crusher

Before the market took a dive, I did mostly commercial and some industrial. :roll:A friend of mine is buying a house and remodeling it before he moves in. He asks me questions now and again, and I help where I can.
Now I crush rock for a living. Hence, the name.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was posting these questions from my phone at work, so I didn't have my code book with me. Now I feel like I should have looked before posting the last question.:huh:
Thanks for all the input and help.

You're not required to look it up before asking a basic question. If you were doing homework questions then we would like you to try and find the answer first on your own. Feel free to ask away. :)

resistance

Before the market took a dive, I did mostly commercial and some industrial. :roll:A friend of mine is buying a house and remodeling it before he moves in. He asks me questions now and again, and I help where I can.
Residential is a different ball game!!!!

jumper

RC, welcome to the forum, there many tools and vast amounts of knowledgable people, except me, here.

If you do not have your book handy, just let us know. we can post the section like this:

230.43 Wiring Methods for 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less.
Service-entrance conductors shall be installed in accordance
with the applicable requirements of this Code covering
the type of wiring method used and shall be limited to
the following methods:
(1) Open wiring on insulators
(2) Type IGS cable
(3) Rigid metal conduit
(4) Intermediate metal conduit
(5) Electrical metallic tubing
(6) Electrical nonmetallic tubing (ENT)
(7) Service-entrance cables
(8) Wireways
(9) Busways
(10) Auxiliary gutters
(11) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit (PVC)
(12) Cablebus
(13) Type MC cable
(14) Mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable
(15) Flexible metal conduit not over 1.8 m (6 ft) long or
liquidtight flexible metal conduit not over 1.8 m (6 ft)
long between raceways, or between raceway and service
equipment, with equipment bonding jumper
routed with the flexible metal conduit or the liquidtight
flexible metal conduit according to the provisions
of 250.102(A), (B), (C), and (E)

(16) Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit
(17) High density polyethylene conduit (HDPE)
(18) Nonmetallic underground conduit with conductors
(NUCC)
(19) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit (RTRC)

Last edited:

Rock Crusher

Residential is a different ball game!!!!

It's funny that people think that just because you're an electrician, they think you know everything about it.;)
I realize residential is different, like commercial and industrial are different.
Going to be taking my contractors test later this year and will be using Mike Holt to help me study with some of his tools.
Thanks for the post Jumper. I have a code book, just not at work with me. I love being an electrician, but have to feed the family and unemployment don't cut it.
Sorry if this thread went on a tangent, but now ya know where I'm coming from. Sorta.:)

kwired

Electron manager
It's funny that people think that just because you're an electrician, they think you know everything about it.;)
I realize residential is different, like commercial and industrial are different.
Going to be taking my contractors test later this year and will be using Mike Holt to help me study with some of his tools.
Thanks for the post Jumper. I have a code book, just not at work with me. I love being an electrician, but have to feed the family and unemployment don't cut it.
Sorry if this thread went on a tangent, but now ya know where I'm coming from. Sorta.:)

My suggestion is to go to one of the classes they have prior to the exams - even if not the class for the test session you are planning to take. You do not have to be scheduled to take a test to attend the class. It's been a few years since I tested now but they did cover almost everything you may find on a test. It also counts for CEU's for renewing your license so you get some of that out of the way at same time.

And you did not go far enough topic to have committed anything on this site. For starters it was at least electrical talk for the most part - maybe rock crushing is off topic but we have spent 20-30 posts before discussing about how diesel engines work when the OP had nothing to do with diesel engines.:happyyes:

resistance

Exactly! I agree!!! To add, it?s funny some electricians think they know everything!!! :D

renosteinke

Please note the OP says "from the meter..."

This sounds like an installation where there will not be any outside disconnecting means - something that is very likely ammended by the local code.

In a similar manner, it's likely the fire code will want an outside disconnect.

The next step in this discussion will be 'what does the NEC mean by 'nearest' the point of service entry?'

I really don't have much concern over 6" of SER going through the wall to a main disconnect on the other side. I do have an issue with unprotected SER going up the wall, across the ceiling, and down the wall to a panel with six breakers in it.

If he's redoing the service, IMO, he needs to have a disconnect at the meter. Code finesse aside, it's simply stupid to not be able to turn things off without pulling the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.