NABCEP Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin_Hamon

Other than saying everything on the JTA for the exam it's impossible to say. I know the JTA covers a lot of area but the questions could hit on anything in there.

hydeisland

Focus on everything!! I know it s a dumb answer but this test is intense and you can t let anything slip by. If your reviewing using the 2011 NABCEP hand book do not think the questions at the end are anywhere near what the test will be like. Get the 2009 study guide and expect the questions to be at least twice as hard as those. Defenitly know your trig because about 4-5 questions will require you to know it. Know your conversions, feet-meters celsius-farenheight at least 2-3 of those. Get the 2011 code book and changes to the 2011 code book I can guarentee you those changes will be specifically addressed in the March exam. Keep in mind NABCEP wants AT LEAST a 50% failure rate

Marvin_Hamon

This is an important point, check to see when the exam will switch to the 2011 NEC. There are just enough changes to trip you up if you answer from the wrong one and you can be pretty sure once they change over that there will be questions that cover any new code or changed. When you are writing questions for the exam new code material is to easy to pass up as fodder for new questions.

Unfortunately the study guide questions are not very representative of the questions on the exam. It's something NABCEP is working on.

As far as I know NABCEP does not set a failure rate to meet for each exam. The number of people failing is pretty much set by how well prepared the exam takers are.

Last edited:

hydeisland

I m pretty sure the pass rate is around only 40-50%. I heard a few cycles ago 70% passed so they scrambled to make the test tougher. Everytime someone fails that's another $200 to NABCEP so they do have a financial incentive for people not passing. The funny thing is on their website they actually have a link to donate to them. Are you taking the March exam in San Diego c&B?

Infinite Solar

NABCEP Exam Preparation

NABCEP Exam Preparation

Hi JMC,

I run a solar PV system training facility in Philadelphia and would be happy to discuss how to prepare for the exam. We have a specific training program that may help you. If anyone is interested in this, I would encourage you to send me a private message to discuss.

Best,
Andrew

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would like to simply mention that I had an off-line discussion with Andrew. I had to delete his earlier post, because it included web site links and prices, and that violated the forum rule against advertising. I agreed to let him post a statement of the nature of the one shown above, so long as it goes no further than to invite interested parties to contact him via PM.

Batasllc

NABCEP PV Installers Exam - 3-24-12

NABCEP PV Installers Exam - 3-24-12

Andrew,

Can you share with us basic strategy for preparing? Not asking to give out any specifics ? this some us want to know if we should talk via PM.

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks, Chad

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Well, of course know Art. 690 backwards and forwards. Second to that would be grounding, grounding, grounding (Art. 250). Conductor and OCPD sizing are very important, and for some reason the time I took it there was a surprising amount of emphasis (4 of the 60 questions) on PVC conduit expansion joints.

There will be safety/OSHA questions. Any answer that mentions a painted wooden ladder is incorrect (that one got me and I hang my head in shame).

One thing that they will do to you is throw you a lot of red herrings. Buried in a half page of text there may be only one or two facts or numbers pertinent to the question at hand and the rest is misdirection.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.