Class I Div 2 Group D: Panel component requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm auditing the installed local control panels at a new site under my responsibility. One panel is located in a Class I Division 2 Group D designated area. The panel in question is NEMA 4X rated, the panel is under an air purge of 1 scfm, and all the components attached to the panel (e.g. A/C unit) are rated for Class I Div. 2 service.

However, there are several components inside the panel that are not rated Class I Div. 2: an IDEC 75W power supply (#PS5R-Q24), a Digi One IAP serial-to-ethernet protocol server (#70001777), and a Hoffman 200W Electric Heater (#DAH2001A).

Do all of these components inside this panel, under an air purge, need to be Class I Div. 2 rated?

Thanks for your help!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm auditing the installed local control panels at a new site under my responsibility. One panel is located in a Class I Division 2 Group D designated area. The panel in question is NEMA 4X rated, the panel is under an air purge of 1 scfm, and all the components attached to the panel (e.g. A/C unit) are rated for Class I Div. 2 service.

However, there are several components inside the panel that are not rated Class I Div. 2: an IDEC 75W power supply (#PS5R-Q24), a Digi One IAP serial-to-ethernet protocol server (#70001777), and a Hoffman 200W Electric Heater (#DAH2001A).

Do all of these components inside this panel, under an air purge, need to be Class I Div. 2 rated?

Thanks for your help!
The purging system should be consistent with NFPA 496; if so, there's no need to worry about the internals - that's why you purged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.