Receptacle for Roof Top Exhaust Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

edealba

NEC 210.63 riquires a receptacle within 25 feet on the same level of Heating, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment but no mention is made regarding exhaust fans. Is a receptacle required within 25 feet of rooftop exhaust fans? Is there a different section of the code that this is covered under?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A fan does not count as HVAC equipment, and you don't need to put a receptacle near a fan. The idea is that the HVAC repair technician will have to plug in some type of diagnostic equipment, in order to troubleshoot the HVAC system. You don't need such diagnostic equipment to work on a fan.

Welcome to the forum.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
NEC 210.63 riquires a receptacle within 25 feet on the same level of Heating, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment but no mention is made regarding exhaust fans. Is a receptacle required within 25 feet of rooftop exhaust fans? Is there a different section of the code that this is covered under?

No it is not required and there is not really a need for one IMO.

Welcome to the forum....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
I have never seen any diagnostic equipment that needed plugged into a 120 volt receptacle. Vacuum pumps for units using refrigerants is normally used in most cases (I've seen some that don't use a vacuum - but that issue belongs on an HVAC forum).

dana1028

Yes - the mechanical code requires a receptacle to such equipment within 25 ft.....in the Uniform Code, this is section 308.0, the 'I' codes have a similar requirement....don't have that code book with me.

rcarroll

Yes - the mechanical code requires a receptacle to such equipment within 25 ft.....in the Uniform Code, this is section 308.0, the 'I' codes have a similar requirement....don't have that code book with me.
I beg to differ, I can't find anything in the UMC (the latest edition I have is the '91) & the IMC refers you to NFPA 70 - the NEC. The IRC has the same requirements as the NEC, as well. That said, I agree with the others that no recep is required for an exhaust fan on a roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.