smaller than #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Someone asked me today about re-identification of ungrounded conductor #6 and smaller and i replied that it can be done and there is no code article disallowing it.

I just want to confirm that the smaller than #6 (other than white & EGC) can be re-identified.

Thanks.

resistance

That is not true. An ungrounded conductor can not be re-identified to indicate that it’s a grounded, or equipment grounding conductor—if the ungrounded conductor is smaller than #6. Yet, you can change the color of an ungrounded conductor to any color other than white, gray, or green (If smaller than #6). See NEC 200.6 and 250.119.

Last edited:

resistance

I’m basing my answer on what the OP said. Which was:
I just want to confirm that the smaller than #6 (other than white & EGC) can be re-identified.
To me, it seems the OP is saying an ungrounded conductor can be re-indentified to any color—if the conductor is smaller than #6. Then the OP says, “do not include the grounded and EG conductors smaller than #6”. As the OP knows that these conductors can not be re-identified.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
That is not true. An ungrounded conductor can not be re-identified to indicate that it?s a grounded, or equipment grounding conductor

i agree.

I was just confirming the ungrounded (colored other than white or green) conductor to be re-identified to another ungrounded conductor.

Thanks for the confirmation.

bknight

Smaller than # 6.....

Smaller than # 6.....

Similar question:
Acoording to 200.6 a wire smaller than a # 4 ( say a black #8) can not simply be marked white at the terminal ends...correct? Where does 200.7 play into this equation? This seems to be very confusing to me.
Thanks for the help.

jumper

I heard that Plato described the destruction of Atlantis as being caused when the inhabitants re-identified wires smaller than #4 as EGCs and neutrals, and the Gods were angered.

Any truth to this? Seems plausible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.