Lights flickering then go off/on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Just recieved an email from a customer(guess they had my contact from estimating) that their lights keep flickering then shut off then come back on after a while. It is a small office that we renovated. I am going to forward this to the super but was curious about what this is. A short?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Just recieved an email from a customer(guess they had my contact from estimating) that their lights keep flickering then shut off then come back on after a while. It is a small office that we renovated. I am going to forward this to the super but was curious about what this is. A short?

Probably a loose connection.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks.. they siad it's also what is plugged into the outlets. Why would their power shut off then come back on....the coming back on is what was mind boggling to me. I'm sure the foreman will find the problem quickly.

jumper

Thanks.. they siad it's also what is plugged into the outlets. Why would their power shut off then come back on....the coming back on is what was mind boggling to me. I'm sure the foreman will find the problem quickly.

Lights and receptacles? That is a whole different problem. I would start with what QC said and check connections if I was sent.

These things can be a PITA to track down.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Does any arcing at the loose wire connections cause the flickering?If so,fast action is required before any fire breaks out.

growler

It is a small office that we renovated.

they siad it's also what is plugged into the outlets.

Yes, but you got to remember that it could just be a MWBC.

It could be anything from a breaker that's arcing out to a loose wire nut?

You need more information, the type that an electrician in the field will collect in the first few minutes.

How many circuits are effected? If more than one are they MWBC?

It's extremely hard to trouble-shoot with little information because you can't eliminate anything until you start to gather information. Once you start to eliminate things it can be as simple as falling off a log.

I wouldn't guess at it but wait and see what the guys in the field find.

Status
Not open for further replies.