groundrod for lighting pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes I do, and do I think it's a good idea to intsall a ground rod for lightning protection, Yes.
So, a pole in you opinion doesn't meet the definition of being "built or constructed?

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bow, the reason for the ground rod is not in question and I will say again, read the definition of "Structure". An inspector could very easily require one at every pole, pedastal, porta john, (if fed with power) etc... and you would have a losing argument convincing him it is not required.

Roger
If I did not install a rod in most of those cases I should win the argument with the inspector. 250.32(A) Exception.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I did not install a rod in most of those cases I should win the argument with the inspector. 250.32(A) Exception.
I agree, I was a little loose with saying an inspector could require one at "every" I should have said "at some". However, it still wouldn't matter what the structure is or what it is made of.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
It would not be that unusual for a multi-headed light pole to be supplied with two or more branch circuits in order to provide different levels of lighting. :)

Or a light pole supplied with 120 VAC circuit for a receptacle and another circuit for the light fixture.

resistance

Can?t recall off hand, but didn?t Mike Holt write something on metal light poles not being grounded properly? I know in our state, a dog was killed, and I believe a person. They later found that they would need to correct the grounding for some or all of their light poles. I have this somewhere????..I?ll look for it.

mike7330

You pick and then tell us why it would matter as far as the NEC is concernd

Roger

Iwire
The NFPA must consider a light pole a structure as they saw a need for an exception to relive the disconnecting means requirements for light poles.
225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure
served or where the conductors pass through the building or
structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the purposes of this section, the requirements
in 230.6 shall be utilized.

Exception No. 3: For towers or poles used as lighting
standards, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be
located elsewhere on the premises.
Excellent point!

Wood or metal.
Wood you can?t pass through, metal you can.
250.32 (A) does not say pass through in the text
So a grounding electrode would be required!
But the exception would come into play for a single circuit
As asked by the op.

I still believe the ground rod in good for lightning protection

What are your reasons for the adding the grounding electrode?
Thanks
mike

ngd4130

Yes I do, and do I think it's a good idea to intsall a ground rod for lightning protection, Yes.

NEC 250.32(A) exception is clear. if it is a single branch circuit, including multiwire brach circuit, ground rod is not needed.

QUESTION: if ground rod is on the drawing & it shows an electrode conductor but does not show where it terminates, should we assume it is for lightning & only goes to the frame of the pole???? :?

iwire

Staff member
Wood or metal.
Wood you can?t pass through, metal you can.
250.32 (A) does not say pass through in the text
So a grounding electrode would be required!
But the exception would come into play for a single circuit
As asked by the op.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I still believe the ground rod in good for lightning protection

I don't think a ground rod will help at all, the pole base is already in the ground.

What are your reasons for the adding the grounding electrode?

I have none, I install them when the code or the job specifications require them, I think in most cases they do nothing at all.

Strife

I remember Mike Holt having a newsletter on the fact that ground rods at light poles are a hoax. Their resistance is not enough (most of the times) to trip the breaker so it's still the grounding conductor that trips the breaker.

Can?t recall off hand, but didn?t Mike Holt write something on metal light poles not being grounded properly? I know in our state, a dog was killed, and I believe a person. They later found that they would need to correct the grounding for some or all of their light poles. I have this somewhere????..I?ll look for it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How and why did this thread turn the function of a GE verses an EGC

The thread was about a ground rod being required at a light pole and in some cases it is but the reason is not for fault clearing.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.