Massachusetts Homeowners

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Notice they do not say homeowners can't do the work, only that they will not issue a permit which means that they will not do an inspection.

Right, I took it as "Homeowner cannot do their own electrical work." That sure seems what they were trying to imply.

ritelec

:rant:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<trying to figure out what this guys saying.........funny!

Probably very similar to what this guys saying >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:rant:

???one more...., Pettibone,...???

Last edited:

B4T

In most areas of the country this is called the log cabin law, remember under the Constitution we are allowed to live as dangerous as we wish.

Well almost:rant:

Here they allow a HO to do their own wiring but not plumbing..

I guess the Log Cabin has one of these.. :lol:

images

KVA

Here they allow a HO to do their own wiring but not plumbing..

I guess the Log Cabin has one of these.. :lol:

images

Same in PA most areas you have to be a licensed plumber but in those same areas their is no license requirements for electricians:?

I never heard of bad plumbing putting someone's life at risk or burning a house down.

peter d

Same in PA most areas you have to be a licensed plumber but in those same areas their is no license requirements for electricians:?

I never heard of bad plumbing putting someone's life at risk or burning a house down.

Improper gas piping can blow up a house. Improper venting of a fuel burning appliance can cause CO poisoning. Improper venting of a waste line can cause sewer gas backup.

Sure, we don't normally associate plumbing with fires and shock hazard, but it does have risks if not done properly.

peter d

Same here officially, although HD / Lowe's seem to sell a lot of plumbing supplies.

I always laugh at Massachusetts' ridiculous commercial plumbing codes requiring the first 4 sewer line joints in the building to be oakum and lead. I just about died from disbelief the first time I saw a plumber on a Mass. commercial job heating up a lead ladle.

KVA

Improper gas piping can blow up a house. Improper venting of a fuel burning appliance can cause CO poisoning. Improper venting of a waste line can cause sewer gas backup.

Sure, we don't normally associate plumbing with fires and shock hazard, but it does have risks if not done properly.

Yes I'm aware of those risks but compared to electrical hazards plumbing doesn't come close. Many homes in my area don't have gas.

peter d

Yes I'm aware of those risks but compared to electrical hazards plumbing doesn't come close. Many homes in my area don't have gas.

I dunno, I think the perceived fire hazard of electrical wiring is greatly exaggerated. How many fires are truly caused by the premises wiring system? I suspect the number is very few. Most anyone who does resi service and repair work sees absolutely butchered stuff on a regular basis that makes you think the building will spontaneously combust, and yet it doesn't.

hurk27

Here is the law as written in the Indiana statues:
IC 36-7-8-3
Establishment of building, heating, ventilating, electrical, plumbing, and sanitation standards; ordinances
Sec. 3. (a) The legislative body of a county having a county department of buildings or joint city-county building department may, by ordinance, adopt building, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, and sanitation standards for unincorporated areas of the county. These standards take effect only on the legislative body's receipt of written approval from the fire prevention and building safety commission.
(b) An ordinance adopted under this section must be based on occupancy, and it applies to:
(1) the construction, alteration, equipment, use, occupancy, location, and maintenance of buildings, structures, and appurtenances that are on land or over water and are:
(A) erected after the ordinance takes effect; and
(B) if expressly provided by the ordinance, existing when the ordinance takes effect;
(2) conversions of buildings and structures, or parts of them, from one occupancy classification to another; and
(3) the movement or demolition of buildings, structures, and equipment for the operation of buildings and structures.
(c) The rules of the fire prevention and building safety commission are the minimum standards upon which ordinances adopted under this section must be based.
(d) An ordinance adopted under this section does not apply to private homes that are built by individuals and used for their own occupancy.
As added by Acts 1981, P.L.309, SEC.27. Amended by P.L.8-1984, SEC.125.

Above in red.

As you can see it vacates even permitting, license, and inspections and has been on the books for a long time.

B4T

I'm surprised to see there is no language to stop the "flippers" from doing their own wiring..

They mention "primary residence".. but that is just one big loop hole IMO..

KVA

I dunno, I think the perceived fire hazard of electrical wiring is greatly exaggerated. How many fires are truly caused by the premises wiring system? I suspect the number is very few. Most anyone who does resi service and repair work sees absolutely butchered stuff on a regular basis that makes you think the building will spontaneously combust, and yet it doesn't.

I agree the majority of bad stuff i see is more of shock hazard then a fire hazard. Even though they are both related odds are the shock will happen before the fire.

KVA

I'm surprised to see there is no language to stop the "flippers" from doing their own wiring..

They mention "primary residence".. but that is just one big loop hole IMO..

I don't see many "flippers" doing any type of wiring. It's paint, crown molding, stainless appliances, granite counter tops, slap a sale sign and buy another one:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.