Massachusetts Homeowners

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Improper gas piping can blow up a house. Improper venting of a fuel burning appliance can cause CO poisoning. Improper venting of a waste line can cause sewer gas backup.

Sure, we don't normally associate plumbing with fires and shock hazard, but it does have risks if not done properly.

I agree, it is a valid point.

B4T

I don't see many "flippers" doing any type of wiring. It's paint, crown molding, stainless appliances, granite counter tops, slap a sale sign and buy another one:lol:

The lawyers must of given them instructions on what not to show.. the wiring almost always gets done when the camera isn't running..

Most of the HI guys around here don't bother with hiring a licensed electrician.. no permit and it is a fly by night job..

They just read EZ Wiring 123 and go to Home Depot for instructions.. :thumbsdown:

PetrosA

I'd be perfectly fine with homeowners being allowed to do all their own electrical work if they had to do it surface mounted. The problem is that the wiring gets hidden, together with the taped splices in the wall (wirenuts optional...), cut off grounds, lamp cord feeding a sump pump or garage receptacle or light switch, hots bonded to shop lights and those pesky ceiling fans held in place with electromagnets ;)

hurk27

I don't promote people doing their own work but I do back them as I feel it is a right, where does it stop, think of how many dangerous things we enjoy doing as American's that could be taken away, foot ball, hang gliding, sky diving, surfing, race car driving, the list is endless, how many of us work on our own cars? even driving a car can be considered dangerous? could you imagine if we had to hire a professional driver to take us around?

KVA

The lawyers must of given them instructions on what not to show.. the wiring almost always gets done when the camera isn't running..

Most of the HI guys around here don't bother with hiring a licensed electrician.. no permit and it is a fly by night job..

They just read EZ Wiring 123 and go to Home Depot for instructions.. :thumbsdown:

Nah I seriously doubt most of them do any wiring upgrades other then lighting. You gotta remember most of these flippers have no construction background whatsoever they just get into because they think it guarantees them riches. All these people care about is aesthetics nothing more.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Was anyone actually doing their own electrical work in Waltham? I just assumed they hired guys from the HD parking lot for that.
Plenty.

Most of the houses there are multy family's anyway except on the north side where all the high end single family's are and those people just have professionals do all there work..

hurk27

Plenty.

Most of the houses there are multi family's anyway except on the north side where all the high end single family's are and those people just have professionals do all there work..

I wouldn't think Mass. would allow it in multifamily as it is here, as in the law I posted above it only applys the a single family dwelling that is that persons primary residence. apartments, rentals, or condo's are a no go for DYS.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'm surprised to see there is no language to stop the "flippers" from doing their own wiring..

They mention "primary residence".. but that is just one big loop hole IMO..

That is the whole reason for the law there are some big company's flipping houses and just want to use there own traveling band.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I wouldn't think Mass. would allow it in multifamily as it is here, as in the law I posted above it only applys the a single family dwelling that is that persons primary residence. apartments, rentals, or condo's are a no go for DYS.

I agree it is for single family dwelings.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
You really are daft. You get all up in arms when the government restricts smoking, but you're totally ok with them preventing a homeowner from doing their own wiring. Total hypocrisy. :roll:

Yup because when my next door neighbors house catches on fire because he did his own Electrical work that could burn down my house as well.

BTW good to see you pete.:thumbsup:

peter d

Yup because when my next door neighbors house catches on fire because he did his own Electrical work that could burn down my house as well.

What is his house burns down from a carelessly disposed ciggarette? OK, then lets ban smoking inside of homes. What about a candle? Then we need to ban those too. So where do you draw the line? :roll:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
What is his house burns down from a carelessly disposed ciggarette? OK, then lets ban smoking inside of homes. What about a candle? Then we need to ban those too. So where do you draw the line? :roll:

At Electrical wiring.:)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Well the permits are pretty cheap, though.
I use to have a Waltham watch. I never knew it was named after a city.
You can learn any thing on this forum.

That bulding is being compleatly re done so it is all new on the inside.

Years ago you could drive by there at night and on the bottom floor there was a flourescent lamp lab and the lamps would burn 24/7 i think it was part of GTE Sylvannia but i do not know for sure.

hurk27

BTW good to see you pete.:thumbsup:

Then choose wisely when buying a house with a fire next door in mind, like some separation between houses, I know many 0 lot houses are getting very common in these days as builders try to squeeze as many lots into a partial of land that they can, and this could be a reason to not allow this kind of law to be used and I would have to agree with it, but it would be hard to change the law to be fair to everyone, maybe not, depends upon how it would be view in legislation?

As was said there are many reasons fires are caused and this is a very small one if we were to look a statistics? with as much fear of fires and shock hazards there is in many today I would feel that many who choose to do their own work would tend to be careful, its the ones who wouldn't do their own work but have no problem using a cheap extension cord on a portable space heater who scare me, or put a 100 watt lamp in a light fixture only rated for 40 or 60 watts, these are people who know they don't have enough smarts to do their own work but also do not know how much danger they are putting their family in just because they think that if you can buy extension cords and these heaters they should be safe to use and haven't a clue that what their doing is even dangerous.

So its not the DYS wiring that scare me as much as the clueless ones that don't have a lick of common sense and the more laws pad these peoples world they more clueless people we will have.
as many have said and Larry the Cable Guy so quickly points out:

Stupid Should hurt! << this builds common sense

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.