Concentric Knockouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am running EMT from the main service panel to a sub-panel. I am entering the sub-panel through concentric knockouts. An equipment grounding conductor is also installed in the conduit for attachment to a ground bar in the sub-panel. Does the code always require a ground bushing installed when an enclosure is entered with a metal raceway through concentric knockouts? I am in California and we are using the 2008 NEC.

hurk27

And voltage over 250 volts to ground such as circuits in a 277/480 volt system.
See 250.97 which will point you to 250.92(B) excluding 250.92(B)(1)

Another place which doesn't apply to your install is where a raceway enclose a grounding electrode conductor as in 250.64(E)

And in some hazardous locations in the 500 area of the NEC.

I think that about covers it

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob,
Are there panels or disconnects with the KOs so listed? As far as I know the only things with "listed" KOs are boxes.

There could be be but I don't know for certain. By looking at the tangential KO's on Square D equipment I might guess that they're listed when over 250 volts but I'm unsure.

templdl

Some of those concentric knockouts can be a pain in the tush. Beyond what the NEC/or UL requires I personally would consider good judgment as to whether addition attention should be considered from a professional?s point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.