Little help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

Customer is wanting a 200A meter/main on the exterior of the house and wants to subfeed this 100A fuse panel. I have never run into a situation like this where some of the fuses and conductors are exposed. Any thoughts on what would be the best alternative. I had thought of just talking him into swaping the fuse panel to a breaker panel and just do away with all that mess. Thanks in advance. Joe Williams 623 N. Ocoee 1.jpg

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Customer is wanting a 200A meter/main on the exterior of the house and wants to subfeed this 100A fuse panel. I have never run into a situation like this where some of the fuses and conductors are exposed. Any thoughts on what would be the best alternative. I had thought of just talking him into swaping the fuse panel to a breaker panel and just do away with all that mess. Thanks in advance. View attachment 6528

I would try to sell a complete upgrade and get rid of that scary box.

That looks like a asbestos's lined panel if so be careful getting rid of it.:eek:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Customer is wanting a 200A meter/main on the exterior of the house and wants to subfeed this 100A fuse panel. I have never run into a situation like this where some of the fuses and conductors are exposed. Any thoughts on what would be the best alternative. I had thought of just talking him into swaping the fuse panel to a breaker panel and just do away with all that mess. Thanks in advance. View attachment 6528

Nah, can't get rid of the fuse panel until they run out of those extra fuses in the bottom of the panel.:lol:

You might explain to them that you have to run a 4 wire to the sub panel to be compliant and that might be a problem with separate grounding/neutral bars. I can't see the inside of the panel, but some I've seen would be a headache to make compliant. Also, if they sell the house or change insurance companies, they might not get coverage.

Last edited:

Gac66610

The fuses up top are feeding old knob and tube
IMO upgrade entire service recommend (strongly recommend)
Replacing knob and tube

Rock Crusher

... if they sell the house or change insurance companies, they might not get coverage.

Also you might want to point out with that setup, if they have a house fire and that's what caused it, the insurance company will not pay. It's one thing if the entire house is still connected knob and tube or any other old wiring. But once it's messed with like that, it's no longer grandfathered and, therefore, needing to be upgraded.
It amazes what homeowners, or weekend do-it-yourselfers, think they can get away with. "it works for now" attitude is what causes fire and death with electricity.
IMO:blink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Also you might want to point out with that setup, if they have a house fire and that's what caused it, the insurance company will not pay.
Please show me the wording from an insuance policy that says that.
It's one thing if the entire house is still connected knob and tube or any other old wiring. But once it's messed with like that, it's no longer grandfathered and, therefore, needing to be upgraded.
There is no code requirement that requires the replacement of knob and tube wiring and if it has not been modifed from its oringal condition, it is one of the safest wiring methods ever used with the exception of it has no EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.