Furnace wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Olson

Installing a new 15A oil fired furnace (2012) . . . I believe it has to have GFCI protection. So which is correct . . . 1) a dedicated 15A GFCI breaker to the furnace. . . 2) a dedicated 15A AFCI breaker to the furnace . . . 3) a basic 15A breaker to a GFI receptacle in the Utility Room with the furnace on the load side . . . 4) an AFCI breaker to a GFI receptacle in the Utility Room with the furnace on the load side

Hendrix

Installing a new 15A oil fired furnace (2012) . . . I believe it has to have GFCI protection. So which is correct . . . 1) a dedicated 15A GFCI breaker to the furnace. . . 2) a dedicated 15A AFCI breaker to the furnace . . . 3) a basic 15A breaker to a GFI receptacle in the Utility Room with the furnace on the load side . . . 4) an AFCI breaker to a GFI receptacle in the Utility Room with the furnace on the load side
You can do any of the above. Or.........a dedicated 15 amp circuit to a service switch (or fire-0-matic if oil fired). Around here they don't allow fire-o-matics on gas burners.

templdl

I'd really look into that AFCI/GFCI issue as I certainly wouldn't want it to trip shutting my furnace down when I'm away on vacation. It sort of defeats the point of having it on a dedicated ckt when you think about it. What is there to be gained in this application by using a device that either has a 5ma or 30ma ground fault sensitivity? It's certainly not for people protection. The common TM breaker should provide OL and fault protection on this dedicated load especially when yo don't want nuisance tripping.
Isn't there enough problems with using AFCIs without looking for more? And I don't think a furnace can be considered an outlet because isn't it hard wired?

kwired

Electron manager
I'd really look into that AFCI/GFCI issue as I certainly wouldn't want it to trip shutting my furnace down when I'm away on vacation. It sort of defeats the point of having it on a dedicated ckt when you think about it. What is there to be gained in this application by using a device that either has a 5ma or 30ma ground fault sensitivity? It's certainly not for people protection. The common TM breaker should provide OL and fault protection on this dedicated load especially when yo don't want nuisance tripping.
Isn't there enough problems with using AFCIs without looking for more? And I don't think a furnace can be considered an outlet because isn't it hard wired?

It is still an outlet just not a receptacle outlet. A receptacle outlet has a somewhat unlimited possibility of what the load may be, where this is a fixed load.

hurk27

The only requirment is that it be supplied by an individual branch circuit. See 422.12

This leaves installing receptacles out.

Some fire codes might require that it have an emergancy shut off at the entrance to the area such as if in the basement a red switch at the top of the stairs, but that was an old requirment around here for oil fired equipment.

Hendrix

The only requirment is that it be supplied by an individual branch circuit. See 422.12

This leaves installing receptacles out.

Some fire codes might require that it have an emergancy shut off at the entrance to the area such as if in the basement a red switch at the top of the stairs, but that was an old requirment around here for oil fired equipment.
Beats me. All I know is that when there is a fire-o-matic installed above a gas furnace, the mechanical inspector, as well as the FD, makes them remove it.:?
(this was supposed to go with sticks question)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Designed for oil? They open on a high temp limit... I don't see the danger in any case....

Maybe we are talking about different things.

What I am thinking is the valve made to shut off the oil supply to an oil furnace if the temp gets over a certain point.

They are called "Fusible-Link Oil Safety Valves (OSVs)" and Fire-o-matic is one of the brands.

http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Oil_Safety_Valves.htm

stickboy1375

Maybe we are talking about different things.

What I am thinking is the valve made to shut off the oil supply to an oil furnace if the temp gets over a certain point.

They are called "Fusible-Link Oil Safety Valves (OSVs)" and Fire-o-matic is one of the brands.

http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Oil_Safety_Valves.htm

How would you install one of those on a gas furnace? I was referring to a thermal cut out that fits on a 4" sq metal box and interrupts power to a oil fired boiler or furnace.

ede8b896-9be0-4c38-8469-a0eadbc3bc71_300.jpg

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How would you install one of those on a gas furnace? I was referring to a thermal cut out that fits on a 4" sq metal box and interrupts power to a oil fired boiler or furnace.

View attachment 6582

I guess we were talking about something different.

As for how one would install the oil valve on a NG line, it could be done, since both systems use NPT. Not kosher by any means, which is why I assumed the inspectors and FD would have a problem with it.

stickboy1375

I guess we were talking about something different.

As for how one would install the oil valve on a NG line, it could be done, since both systems use NPT. Not kosher by any means, which is why I assumed the inspectors and FD would have a problem with it.

i'd have a problem with it too... :)

jumper

If you connect the appliance and a receptacle to same circuit you have two outlets.

So. If it serves the appliance it is still an individual circuit.

Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies
only one utilization equipment.

I have a 20 amp circuit serving my inside AHU and there is a condensate pump also. Violation?

422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating
equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment
shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Exception No. 1: Auxiliary equipment, such as a pump,
valve, humidifier, or electrostatic air cleaner directly associated
with the heating equipment, shall be permitted to be
connected to the same branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.