Jct box over disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reil

Can you come out of a jct box, down a section of conduit, into a fused disconnect with the line side and then go back up the same conduit with load conductors (correct size conduit for the number of conductors-Ch 9) into the same jct box and out of the jct box via another conduit to the motor?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sure , Why not! I think the only rules against this if this is utilitly service as they will usually not alllow. However this seems to NOT be service but a brach circuit I see no issue. I would not usually do this.

kwired

Electron manager
Can you come out of a jct box, down a section of conduit, into a fused disconnect with the line side and then go back up the same conduit with load conductors (correct size conduit for the number of conductors-Ch 9) into the same jct box and out of the jct box via another conduit to the motor?

As long as there is no service conductors mixed with non service conductors.

You also may need to derate conductor ampacity for number of current carrying conductors in the raceway. (1 -3 conductors no deration, 4-6 deration is 80%.) If the section of raceway is only 24 inches or less in length then you don't have that problem.

Reil

Another point I left out -jct box contains splice

Another point I left out -jct box contains splice

The jct box above the disconnect houses the branch circuit feeder which at this point is spliced to the line conductors. The line conductors go down into disconnect and come back up from the load side of disconnect, unspliced, thru the jct box to another conduit , to motor

Reil

I guess ultimately, if a short were to occur in jct box, (which it couldn't because load side wires are unspliced with original insulation maintained), the short circuit would completely bypass disconnect. I trying to get in inspectors head.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Forget about utility. Read 230.7.

Ok I should have used the word Service not " Utility" but around here in my neck of the woods we don't have customer owned service, or wires other than the riser to the weather head.

kwired

Electron manager
I guess ultimately, if a short were to occur in jct box, (which it couldn't because load side wires are unspliced with original insulation maintained), the short circuit would completely bypass disconnect. I trying to get in inspectors head.

I don't understand what you are thnking with that. If the short is in a load side conductor,the fault current will pass through the disconnect. If in a line side conductor it will not. If short is between a line and load conductor it may bypass disconnect. You do still have a feeder overcurrent device someplace on the line side.

Status
Not open for further replies.