Panelboard in Closet - not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to locate the code section in the 2008 NEC where is indicates that panelboards are not permitted to be
installed in a closet.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

ResInspector2008 :D

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
240.24(D), 2008 Edition states " Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitable material, such as clothes closets."

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
You're thinking of 240.24(D).

It's not the panelboard itself that is specifically prohibited, but the Overcurrent Devices. This would mean a single (or multiple) enclosed OCPD(s) as well as a panelboard.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Actually, nothing prohibits putting a panel in a closet. I do it all the time. Architects tend to dislike seeing panelboards in corridor walls, so they give me small electrical closets instead. I seem to recall puttin a panel in a janitor's closet on one project, when I was really pressed for space. Now, if you are asking about a "clothes closet," that is a different matter. But I see that that matter has already been addressed.

RESI

I installed a panel in a cloathes closet recently. I had to remove the door, take out shelving and clothes rod before inspector would pass it. Panel was in closet before I started.

frankft2000

I installed a panel in a cloathes closet recently. I had to remove the door, take out shelving and clothes rod before inspector would pass it. Panel was in closet before I started.

How far down the road was you before the door went back on, and the rod and shelves were re installed? lol

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

You could not have installed a panel in the closet if the panel was already there. :lol:

ngd4130

The plans appear to show the panel location proposed would be a coat closet.

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!

ResInspector2008

If this was a recently submitted plan and was stamped by an architect, I would present it to the AHJ. Looks like a code violation.
Also, make sure the closet isn't on the back side of the panel! :eek: :ashamed:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I see lots of panels in utility closets along with water heaters and/or hvac eqpmt. But they often become clothes closets too. Open the door & see clothes piled to ceiling. At least that's better than the panel being covered by a 2 ton queen sized bed that takes up the whole wall.

Panel Location

Panel Location

NEC says "Not in Vacinity of Easily Ignitable Material".

Fire from the panel or heat causing the fire cold go through the wall to the closet. Inspecors won't allow it. That's why new homes have gotten pretty creative where they place them. Sometimes the panel is in a hallway with a hinged picture as a cover.

iwire

Staff member

Fire from the panel or heat causing the fire cold go through the wall to the closet. Inspecors won't allow it. That's why new homes have gotten pretty creative where they place them. Sometimes the panel is in a hallway with a hinged picture as a cover.

So by your reasoning I can't install a dry location panel on an exterior wall facing into the home because the back side is touching an exteriour wall.

I am sorry but you are mistaken and any inspector enforcing such nonsense is unqualified.

electricmanscott

You could probably interpret this to not allow panels anywhere in a dwelling.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Fire from the panel or heat causing the fire cold go through the wall to the closet. Inspecors won't allow it.
Those inspecors are making up rulls and are igiots (just having fun with spelling but I meant the jest).

BTW, if frogs had wings .....

Roger

Gac66610

what kind of picture, paper backed, cloth back, what about the frame of picture light wood ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
what kind of picture, paper backed, cloth back, what about the frame of picture light wood ?
It must be metallic with a fire resistant coating on the back. Ideally the load center will be mounted on a 4 hour rated wall and have sprinkler protection over it. ;):D

I'm sorry I'm finding this so amusing but I can't help it. :)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.