International Residential Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Just started doing residential projects and got a notice for a class that teaches fundamentals of the 2009 IRC. Is this something that we as a company should take? How does this apply to residential electrical work?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Just started doing residential projects and got a notice for a class that teaches fundamentals of the 2009 IRC. Is this something that we as a company should take? How does this apply to residential electrical work?

It pretty much just defaults you to the NEC, but I would never discourage anyone from taking any classes.

wolfman56

All that really matters to electricians are the smoke detector rules. Example, it says that if a project is large enough to require a permit then the home has to have smokes located by today's standards. In our area if there is attic access then we have to install 120v interconnected ones.
And possibly penetrations to a fire rated wall.
RW

97catintenn

Very little would apply to residential electrical. Smokes is the only thing I can think of, like wolfman said.

There is no point for you to take the course. They will discuss framing, windows, glazing, handrails, and everything but NEC or residential wiring.

renosteinke

I am always telling guys: you need to know more than just the NEC!

For that matter, I also tell newbies that electrician work has precious little to do with electricity. We're a CONSTRUCTION trade. We BUILD things. So, we need to know how things are built - and the NEC won't help you there!

We need to know where we can make holes, and how big they can be. We need to know what structural members do. We need to know the energy codes, the fire codes for exit lighting, the mechanical codes for required dedicated circuits, and what power requirements appliances have. We need to know BICSI rules for the 'smart house' wiring. We need to know how many wires the thermostat needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.