1/4 FNPT Conduit Connection - exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Hello,

I cameacross a datasheet that lists a sensor as having a 1/4" FNPT connection. Is there an electrical connector of this size? I found 3/8" NPT, but 1/4" NPT seems a bit small to me. Anyone seen anything?

Thanks,
Jason

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is not unheard of. I would second the bushing idea.

I have never quite understood why someone would make a product that can't be directly connected to anything without adding an adapter to it.

I may have used some recently that were like this, but as the switch was inside a cabinet, there was no conduit involved.

many years ago I ran into something that had two very small (maybe 20 gauge) wires coming out of what I thought was 1/8 pipe thread, but turned out to be metric or BS maybe. That was interesting to connect up to. Had to order an adapter from some place in Europe IIRC. Back in the dark ages before the Internet. We had a teletype back then to send messages overseas.

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
NPT pipe threads - dimensions according ANSI/ASME B1.20.1

Common American National Standard Pipe Taper Threads

NPT - National Pipe Thread Taper
NPTF - Dryseal American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread (ANSI B1.20.3)

NPT threads may be referred to as MPT ('Male Pipe Thread'), MNPT, or NPT(M) for male (external) threads, and FPT ('Female Pipe Thread'), FNPT, or NPT(F) for female (internal) threads. Note that FPT and MPT are not authorized designations per the ANSI standard.

For NPT threads a sealant compound or Teflon tape must be used for a leak-free seal. For NPTF no sealant is needed for a sealing.

Characteristics of NPT (also known as ANSI/ASME B1.20.1 Pipe Threads, General Purpose):

tapered thread 1o 47'
truncation of roots and crests are flat
60o thread angle
pitch is measured in threads per inch

Note! Pipe sizes do not refer to any physical dimensions. The outside diameter of a pipe or fitting must be measured and compared to a table for size identification. A 3/4" NPT pipe thread has an outside diameter - OD - of 1.050 inches.

Each thread size has a defined number of threads per inch - TPI, or pitch. The 3/4" NPT pipe thread has 14 threads per inch. Both the TPI and OD of the thread are required for positive identification of thread size because more than one size have the same TPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.