Illegal service...permanent connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this at a house I was at and just had to take a picture. I always wonder how a contractor gets an inspector to sign off on something like this. (I'm assuming is was inspected because the POCO has its permanent crimp connectors on it.)

photo-1 copy.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I found this at a house I was at and just had to take a picture. I always wonder how a contractor gets an inspector to sign off on something like this. (I'm assuming is was inspected because the POCO has its permanent crimp connectors on it.)

View attachment 6598

Anyone can buy H taps and a crimp tool...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Funny that no one seems to worried about the light fixture just hanging there by the wire nuts. Either I'm missing something or I'm not getting a good look at it, but I'm not sure that I see a huge violation.

Funny that no one seems to worried about the light fixture just hanging there by the wire nuts. Either I'm missing something or I'm not getting a good look at it, but I'm not sure that I see a huge violation.

The house is gutted and all electric was turned off except a temp outlet.

I think I have one from the side....

Those connections are only about 8' above the walkway...and the walkway leads to the front door. Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice, but when you are standing there, you can almost touch the connections.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Ok, with the side picture it looks worse. Looking at the second picture, I can't help but wonder why the service isn't attached higher up on the rake and not on the corner boards...

mike7330

Those connections are only about 8' above the walkway...and the walkway leads to the front door. Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice, but when you are standing there, you can almost touch the connections.

Don't touch the connections! :)
All joking aside just move the attachment up the rake as said by Hv&Lv

hurk27

From the look of the angle that the drop is coming from, I think moving it up the rake will cause it to rub on the drip edge, while still not code compliant I would at least put it into the face of the eve?

hurk27

I just re-looked at the first photo, the second photo looks like it would hit on the rake but in the first photo it looks like it will clear

Bet the drop was there before the deck which is why it is now to low.

Gac66610

I just re-looked at the first photo, the second photo looks like it would hit on the rake but in the first photo it looks like it will clear

good point... maybe the front door use to have just concrete steps leading up

kwired

Electron manager

If door was always there it was likely still too low. Next question is how long was it there? May not have met code when installed but did it have to when it was installed? I've seen worse service drop clearances than that, there was no inspections when they were installed so you can expect about anything. Becomes a bit of a PITA when a tree branch falls on the drop and rips everything off the side of the house - and you have to tell HO that you need to put it up differently than it was to meet codes. But that is what you get for having large trees when you overhead lines in the area.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you can "almost" touch it, then it's probably higher than 8'. Here the poco has a minimum for residential of "10' in areas accessible to pedestrains only."

kwired

Electron manager
A little hard to tell what it is, but looks like there is a telephone or cable tv drop right next to it and possibly using the same attachment point.

Status
Not open for further replies.