2008 NEC Article 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy11

ok all you grounding and bonding guys. if an installation conforms to 250,146 a or b does article 250.148 need to followed.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
ok all you grounding and bonding guys. if an installation conforms to 250,146 a or b does article 250.148 need to followed.

That depends. 250.148 keeps you from daisey chaining the ground. But if you had metal conduit without an EGC it would be a moot point.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That depends. 250.148 keeps you from daisey chaining the ground. But if you had metal conduit without an EGC it would be a moot point.
The conduit would be the EGC and it would be connected to the box. That complies with 250.148.

grumpy11

2008 nec article 250

2008 nec article 250

but engineers are calling for an egc in emt most jobs now. why i dont know . and where i come from we only use self grounding outlets.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
but engineers are calling for an egc in emt most jobs now. why i dont know . and where i come from we only use self grounding outlets.
The use of self-grounding receptacles covers the rule in 250.146. You still have to connect the EGC wire to the box to comply with 250.148.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If the egc is pulled into the device box then it must be connected to the box even if there is emt used as the raceway. The receptacle does not have to be grounded necessarily but the box does.

grumpy11

and if i spliced the egc in a junction box to branch off to other outlets .what im getting is that in that junction box the egc will have to be bonded to the jb also

kwired

Electron manager
and if i spliced the egc in a junction box to branch off to other outlets .what im getting is that in that junction box the egc will have to be bonded to the jb also

It says "Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box..."

That means if any circuit conductors are spliced not just the EGC. If the box is just a pull box and no splicing or terminations are involved then you do not have to bond the EGC to the box (if the box is already bonded by metallic raceways). If it was nonmetallic raceways hitting a metal pull box you would have to bond the box even if it means the EGC is the only conductor spliced or terminated.

grumpy11

2008 nec article

2008 nec article

ok now would this also apply to feeders where an egc is pulled and a splice needs to be made
no tap off just a splice

grumpy11

ok so lets make it simple . the way we are all talking. if there is an egc pulled in any circuit conductors or even feeders .
if a splice is made the egc must be bonded to the JB and the outlet box . also in a feeder.
if this be the case. i wonder how many electrican really that. i can see the outlet box or a switch where a feeder would go to. but a jb splice box.

kwired

Electron manager
ok so lets make it simple . the way we are all talking. if there is an egc pulled in any circuit conductors or even feeders .
if a splice is made the egc must be bonded to the JB and the outlet box . also in a feeder.
if this be the case. i wonder how many electrican really that. i can see the outlet box or a switch where a feeder would go to. but a jb splice box.

This has been a requirement since at least 1987 NEC and probably even before, that is the first year of NEC for my experience and it was the requirement then to the best of my knowledge. What is so hard to understand about this?

If conductors are continuous you don't have to bond to the enclosure, if they are spliced or terminated in any way you must bond to the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.