hvac contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmas0n

Just had a coworkers ask me about a contactor on an hvac unit , when he checks voltage on both the contactors for the blower and condensor he gets voltage on both sides of the contactor wether it is open or closed, but nothing will run unless the contactor is closed. Anyone know why there would be voltage when the contactor is open?

Gac66610

If i am not mistaken, (have been will be again), on one side of contact/relay its fed through, only one leg of the circuit is "switched" using the contact/relay,
the line that is fed through will go through the condenser, and the fan back to the opposite side of the contact/relay, thus giving a voltage reading on both sides

maybe i should have asked first ... was he checking line to ground? ask him to try checking 240v line to line he might just find a 0 reading

rattus

Just had a coworkers ask me about a contactor on an hvac unit , when he checks voltage on both the contactors for the blower and condensor he gets voltage on both sides of the contactor wether it is open or closed, but nothing will run unless the contactor is closed. Anyone know why there would be voltage when the contactor is open?

Could be high impedance meter, or could be one side of the contactor is shorted allowing voltage to be read through the load. Diagrams of measuring technique would be helpful. Where are the meter probes placed?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unsure exactly how he's measuring, but Gac6610's post is a likely culprit for a "misunderstanding" (and often a shock). HVAC folks commonly only break one phase with contactors on 240 v systems.

Gac66610

Unsure exactly how he's measuring, but Gac6610's post is a likely culprit for a "misunderstanding" (and often a shock). HVAC folks commonly only break one phase with contactors on 240 v systems.

wow, i had to read it again to see that, um maybe you should delete that post, i dont want any shocking effects on something i stated

rattus

If i am not mistaken, (have been will be again), on one side of contact/relay its fed through, only one leg of the circuit is "switched" using the contact/relay,
the line that is fed through will go through the condenser, and the fan back to the opposite side of the contact/relay, thus giving a voltage reading on both sides

maybe i should have asked first ... was he checking line to ground? ask him to try checking 240v line to line he might just find a 0 reading

Don't all units come with a double pole contactor? I have a boxful of old ones, and they're all double pole except one is a three pole contactor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
wow, i had to read it again to see that, um maybe you should delete that post, i dont want any shocking effects on something i stated

I think your post is on point. The "misunderstanding" I referenced is that a lot of folks don't realize that in breaking only 1 line the HVAC folks accomplish the goal at less cost.

Gac66610

240v line to line he might just find a 0 reading

thought you were referring to this in red as misunderstanding
as 0v = safe. I can read my own statements and think to myself ... (thats not right)

rattus : the ones i have been wiring only have one line contact, the other line is fed through

jumper

Don't all units come with a double pole contactor? I have a boxful of old ones, and they're all double pole except one is a three pole contactor.

nope

rattus : the ones i have been wiring only have one line contact, the other line is fed through

yep

typical hvac contactor, IIRC the feed through side keeps the heaters in a compressor on.

imagesqtbnANd9GcR3GkUX36VhIeDri1P8rE2Gcxli7CwPZNuSwIESfLp3aqq57cPvMw.jpg

templdl

nope

yep

typical hvac contactor, IIRC the feed through side keeps the heaters in a compressor on.

I learned that also when I replaced mine. What surprised me was how cheep they are, certainly not in price but in their quality. When I went to replace mine I purchased (2), the spare which I keep in the enclosure. There is nothing like having to replace one and you have a spare right there for you. Mine was a honeywell.

jumper

I learned that also when I replaced mine. What surprised me was how cheep they are, certainly not in price but in their quality. When I went to replace mine I purchased (2), the spare which I keep in the enclosure. There is nothing like having to replace one and you have a spare right there for you. Mine was a honeywell.

Honeywell is the most common type I have found. Carrier units especially.

kwired

Electron manager
nope

yep

Where is the return path for the heater when the contactor is open? Heaters are always hooked to line side AFAIK.

A lot of people think you have to use a 2 pole contactor. It is a controller not a disconnect. A disconnect must open all lines for (hopefully) obvious reasons. A controller only needs to open necessary lines to stop operation of what is controlled. Single phase motor this means you only need to break one line. Three phase motor you only need to break two lines to stop the motor. Some controllers have instructions to break all lines sometimes but that is listing and labeling and not general controller requirements.

jumper

Where is the return path for the heater when the contactor is open? Heaters are always hooked to line side AFAIK.

A lot of people think you have to use a 2 pole contactor. It is a controller not a disconnect. A disconnect must open all lines for (hopefully) obvious reasons. A controller only needs to open necessary lines to stop operation of what is controlled. Single phase motor this means you only need to break one line. Three phase motor you only need to break two lines to stop the motor. Some controllers have instructions to break all lines sometimes but that is listing and labeling and not general controller requirements.

I was talking about a heating coil in the compressor, not strip heat. I will see if I can find a schematic. The heater is for keeping oil warm in compressor in cold weather.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Manufacturers use single pole contactors because they are the cheapest contactors they can buy. In my opinion they are junk. If a HVAC guy tried to put one of those in my unit I would run him down the street.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I think they are more reliable because of lesser number of parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.