Transformers in IT room

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is not in the NEC. But I am told that the BICSI rules forbid it. It would interfere with the operation of the IT equipment. If you have an electrical room immediately adjacent to an IT room, you should not put transformers on the wall that separates the two rooms.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
It is not in the NEC. But I am told that the BICSI rules forbid it. It would interfere with the operation of the IT equipment. If you have an electrical room immediately adjacent to an IT room, you should not put transformers on the wall that separates the two rooms.

How is that possible? Transformers are often built into PDU/UPS's in IT rooms.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What are we discussing here? I thought the question was related to something along the lines of a 480-120/208 volt transformer that would be used to power the panel in the IT room serving IT loads. My RCDD cubicle neighbor is the one who told me that BISCI standards would not allow it. He was on his way out the door, so I didn't ask him to show me the chapter and verse. The transformer inside a PDU would be much smaller and less likely to cause interference with IT loads.

ron

PDU's come in many different sizes, for example from 15-750 kVA (standard product from PDI). We often put them close to the IT equipment to establish a SDS close to the load.

It isn't as important now as it was in the past, but deriving the neutral close to the load is the reason you'll find them next to IT equipment in many data centers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The transformer inside a PDU would be much smaller and less likely to cause interference with IT loads.

Me thinks something was lost in your discussion.

Standard 'run of the mill' 480-208Y/120 transformers up to 225kVA are installed in PDU's in the IT room by the thousands.
Radiated 'noise' distortion is not an issue.

There is an issue with heat generation, so we are starting to see some rooms designed for 400Y/240 fed from an 'external' transformer.

kwired

Electron manager
Voltage drop and circuit routing.

Conductors can be sized larger for voltage drop. Additional heat is additional load on cooling system either way.

Sometimes we have strategically placed a transformer to take advantage of the heat it produces.

Have located an air compressor in a small room with a transformer more than once in an otherwise unheated building to help keep the oil in the compressor warm so it performs well when outside temp is cold. No additional heater needed the transformer keeps it warm enough.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
If given the choice, why would you want to add all those BTU's to the cooling load of the room?

Because it is typically the one room in a space that has space for a transformer. It is also usually a transformer dedicated for the IT space so it is somewhat logical to be there.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Conductors can be sized larger for voltage drop.

Most PDU's have at least 42 circuits, 84 is not uncommon and I have worked on some pushing 100+. One medium size IT room can have more than 10 PDU's in it. Upsizing the 208Y/120 circuits could easily be more prohibitive (in cost and space) than the additional cooling.

Getting rid of the heat, expense, and space required by PDU's is one reason for the interest in the 400Y/240 systems.

kwired

Electron manager
Because it is typically the one room in a space that has space for a transformer. It is also usually a transformer dedicated for the IT space so it is somewhat logical to be there.

That does not answer the question of why add to the cooling load.

Why is this any different from a hazardous location or a corrosive environment and maybe placing some equipment in a room or area that is outside the environment for other logical reasons cost, performance, operating cost ...

iwire

Staff member
That does not answer the question of why add to the cooling load.

Why is this any different from a hazardous location or a corrosive environment and maybe placing some equipment in a room or area that is outside the environment for other logical reasons cost, performance, operating cost ...

Why do you think an IT room is special?

We install transformers, panelboards, UPS units, switchgear, ATS etc in IT rooms.

As with everything it is a trade off, take up space in the IT room or keep the runs short.

Add heat to the IT room or have to walk down the hall to flip breakers.

It is all just a design decision.

kwired

Electron manager
In the IT room or not it adds cooling load to the building, either way the cooling load must be accounted for.

It also adds heat to an area that maybe could use heat during non cooling season. The IT room likely doesn't need much if any heat.

Why do you think an IT room is special?

We install transformers, panelboards, UPS units, switchgear, ATS etc in IT rooms.

As with everything it is a trade off, take up space in the IT room or keep the runs short.

Add heat to the IT room or have to walk down the hall to flip breakers.

It is all just a design decision.

It is only special as far as IT equipment is concerned. Otherwise it is just a room.

It is a design decision and there are trade offs just like any other rooms.

It also does not necessarily need to be in the room to keep runs short. Just outside the room is still shorter than at the source that may be 20, 50, or several hundred feet away.

iwire

Staff member
It also does not necessarily need to be in the room to keep runs short. Just outside the room is still shorter than at the source that may be 20, 50, or several hundred feet away.

Seriously?

Why do you always find it necessary to state the obvious?:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.