Contacting customers to see if they are ready to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Reading through all of the threads, I didn't see anyone pick up on the OP's clarification that it is more of a friend.

Sure did, that's why I reposted after my initial post.

Remember two things........Don't do work for friends and relatives........and friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

snubber

John120/240

Remember two things........Don't do work for friends and relatives........and friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

snubber

If you do work for friends and or family, you must have a crystal clear understanding of

expecations and compensation. Is it green $$ in your hand or beer and burgers or

Thanks see you later.

kwired

Electron manager
Reading through all of the threads, I didn't see anyone pick up on the OP's clarification that it is more of a friend. Along with that, I read in to the post that you are looking for work that week, but may be full shortly after. I think any of these cases are dynamic. In this case, if I get the dynamics correct, I would probably call back and offer a discount, or "buy now pay later", depending on the friend's financial situation and my relationship. I want the work, the friend feels they are cashing in on the friendship. I am not advocating doing a job for nothing.

With a low population density where I live probably at least 75% of the people I do work for I consider friends. Another 10-15% I may not consider good friends but still do know them or know of them and/or I am good friends with someone they do know. The remaining 5 or 10% are people that are either from out of the area, just moved here, or some similar story - those are the ones you can't always trust around here. They are more likely to run up a big bill and suddenly just leave as they have no reason to stay here anyway.

What is true in some areas is not always the way it is everywhere else.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

snubber
I do tend to agree with you, that is why I put in that the situation is dynamic. Generally, I will work for either nothing or full compensation. To clarify, full compensation means job costs plus profit and overhead. The profit and overhead may change. My reasoning is that if I decide to do a friend a favor, but he pays me way less than it is worth, it still gives him the impression that he paid for services rendered, and me the impression that I did him a favor! That is a lose lose if I ever saw one!

Strife

To me a regular (repeat customer) asking me to diagnose some outdoor outlets means I'll be there as soon as time allows.

Would you do this? I had a repeat customer email me roughly a week and a half ago asking me to diagnose some outdoor outlets not working and other stuff. I said sure let me know when your ready and i'll be glad to help but haven't heard from them yet. They are also technically friends more like acquaintances, she got me a lot of work with her other family members.

Anyway next week we are going to have a stretch of beautiful weather and I don't have much lined up. Would it be weird to email her and say "Hi I have some days open next week and we are going to have real nice weather would you like me to come out?"

KVA

She replied back to my email and said not ready yet "maybe a month" :lol:

And just now I get an email from someone who contacted me 5 months ago about a ceiling fan. He tells ME to call him he has other minor work. And in the email he replies with the message I sent him 5 months ago with my phone number in it.

Why do I have to call him?

I think I should have went to college this stuff is getting old:roll:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Would you do this? I had a repeat customer email me roughly a week and a half ago asking me to diagnose some outdoor outlets not working and other stuff. I said sure let me know when your ready and i'll be glad to help but haven't heard from them yet. They are also technically friends more like acquaintances, she got me a lot of work with her other family members.

Anyway next week we are going to have a stretch of beautiful weather and I don't have much lined up. Would it be weird to email her and say "Hi I have some days open next week and we are going to have real nice weather would you like me to come out?"

If you want the work pick up the phone and call and tell her you can do the job this week.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did not see in our OP that she said she was not ready. Call or e mail and tell her you have time open, if that is good for her.

hurk27

She replied back to my email and said not ready yet "maybe a month" :lol:

And just now I get an email from someone who contacted me 5 months ago about a ceiling fan. He tells ME to call him he has other minor work. And in the email he replies with the message I sent him 5 months ago with my phone number in it.

Why do I have to call him?

I generally get this kind of response when they are waiting to have enough money, kind of a way to brush it off till they hit the lottery I guess, so I don't loose sleep over it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

How old are you? My mom first went to college to be a nurse when she was 35 or so with absolutely nothing but us kids and lots of bills. She's almost 55 now and owns three houses, and enjoys lots of toys and vacations.

Edit to add: I realize the economy is much different than 20 years ago.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A few months ago a customer talked.to me about a low priority project monitorng stock well pressure. I made a PR call yesterday. He is ready any time. I can now do it at my convenence. Had I waited until summer it may have been a hurry the hell up project. We both win.po:angel:

Teaspoon

I see no problem at all with contacting customers. It is always good to keep in contact . I think most customers appreciate it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A few months ago a customer talked.to me about a low priority project monitorng stock well pressure. I made a PR call yesterday. He is ready any time. I can now do it at my convenence. Had I waited until summer it may have been a hurry the hell up project. We both win.po:angel:

I am going to quit using my droid or get a new one. Takes to long to type and extra stuff shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.