commercial generator removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob12013

A potential costumer has asked if I could disconnect a commercial generator. It was backing up a data rm., now not in use, the tenant is no longer there. There is a 600 amp breaker in generator, and a 1200 amp breaker feeding ATS less then 25' away it says generator test switch on it also is in same electrical rm. I wanted to know if just disconnecting the generator outside at the disconnect remove the conductors, controls and the 120v for the diesel oil heater,if that is that whats done in some cases. just get that removal inspected or does the whole system need to be removed? I have about the same email ready to send to the inspector. just wanted to know what was known here. Thanks for your help.

satcom

A potential costumer has asked if I could disconnect a commercial generator. It was backing up a data rm., now not in use, the tenant is no longer there. There is a 600 amp breaker in generator, and a 1200 amp breaker feeding ATS less then 25' away it says generator test switch on it also is in same electrical rm. I wanted to know if just disconnecting the generator outside at the disconnect remove the conductors, controls and the 120v for the diesel oil heater,if that is that whats done in some cases. just get that removal inspected or does the whole system need to be removed? I have about the same email ready to send to the inspector. just wanted to know what was known here. Thanks for your help.

Contacting the AHJ is the best practice on a project like this, there may be liabilities involved with the clean up depending on the fuel supply, and you want to be sure your contract covers only the electrical removal, the building department should be able to put you in the right direction.

hurk27

You need to find out how much he wants to remove, is he going to offer it for sale? or does he just want to take it out of running when power fails, if the latter just shut it down, and turn off the heater loads, I would think this would be a great renting point he could have to offer prospective tenants

iwire

Staff member
If I was to disable the generator I would likely try to bypass the ATS.

During a power failure the ATS could drop open and cause an issue.

I agree with Hurk, find out exactly what they are looking for.

cadpoint

Frankly, I can?t believe that this generator is not under some sort of service contract or even owned by others. I would also find out more information as well.

rob12013

I've emailed the inspector we'll see what he says. I'm pretty much just equipped for kitchen renovations and the like. This is probbley out of my range I did do stuff like this when I worked for contractors. I suspect I wont do this job but I'm curious what steps would need to be taken

Status
Not open for further replies.