300.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

I was asked these questions once in another forum and never really resolved any clear answers in my mind.

(1). If a 3 conductor cable with 2 hots and a neutral, such as SE, is installed in a PVC conduit - can a separate EGC be pulled in and be compliant in connecting up a sub panel?

(2). What about pulling the SE cable in EMT or RMC and using the conduit as the EGC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You would have a bare neutral after the main panel. I guess if you could protect the neutral with tape you might get away with it but it is not a good install, IMO. The neutral is probably not a full size either so you would have to be careful of the load there.

I see what you are getting out and I don't see an issue with 300.3(B) esp in #2 example

jumper

Does the grounded conductor/neutral have to be insulated to a sub-panel if the neutral and EGC are not touching?

200.2 General. Grounded conductors shall comply with
200.2(A) and (B).
(A) Insulation. The grounded conductor, where insulated

or taped up in the panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I cannot imagine how you could keep the uninsulated neutral from touching ground. The only place I know in the NEC that allows an bare neutral is in 230 for services.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are not permitted to use the uninsulated conductor of SE cable as the grounded conductor in this application. 338(10)(B)(2)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You are not permitted to use the uninsulated conductor of SE cable as the grounded conductor in this application. 338(10)(B)(2)
Good find but that is only relevant to se which is what the thread is about but then I thought we were looking at a neutral, in general being allowed to be bare. It is like an unspoken rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.