Small Portable generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

umm. It looks like there is no such thing, I found out that can not use it when raining or snowing. you have to build like an enclosure to protect it. Besides of being limited by capacity of generato, the weather limit his use too.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
There's too much to rant about. We have all heard and seen it before. Yes this guy is crazy if not for anything the fact that he's proud of it to the point of making a video of it. He mentions about "teaching his family" about the main but did not emphasize the fact that they could be electrocuted if they unplug the cord with the generator on? He obviously didn't want to deal with the comments since there disabled. He said he was too cheap to buy a proper cover for the outlet. Does he know they are 30 cents more than the one he bought and took time to chew a buttched up hole through? awh why did I wastee time talking about this....

kwired

Electron manager
He was having a good conversation with himself until mike had to interrupt.

Having the words "installed" and "portable" both in the question should make the answer to the OP somewhat obvious.

A portable shelter or even a permanent shelter for a portable generator is a consideration, but does not make it an installed generator

mtnelectrical

Sorry I do not see that obvious since we know all the work it is needed for a "portable" swimming pool, but hey we are here to keep learning.
And the video was just to see how bad a homer installation could be, maybe we could use this to explained the owner the risks of trying to do electrical work just to save money, putting at risk the safe of the family because the lack of proper training.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry I do not see that obvious since we know all the work it is needed for a "portable" swimming pool, but hey we are here to keep learning. <BR>And the video was just to see how bad a homer installation could be, maybe we could use this to explained the owner the risks of trying to do electrical work just to save money, putting at risk the safe of the family because the lack of proper training.
<BR><BR>I'm sorry I didn't watch the video in your link before my previous post. I only watched about 1 minute of it before turning it off. The guy had done little at this point except remove the cover on the panel while we watched a black screen, but you could tell it was not going anywhere useful. Just somebody that wishes he had his own program on HGTV in my opinion. I'm sure there are millions more videos that fall into that same category for electrical as well as other trades. <BR><BR>You are not going to stop DIY from doing things. They only come for help when they get stuck. If you feel what they have cobbled up is dangerous you have to ask yourself if it is worth contributing to their mess. They likely want the cheapest way to make it work and have no idea what is safe. Your liability is not worth depending on their engineering. <BR> 

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looking for some info, found this very peculiar video , I do not know how many violation this very smart home owner have on his installation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRU0YtFx9g
Aside from all the violations that we professionals could pick up on, and if you're looking at this through the eyes of a complete novice, the first thing that I would pick up on is that this guy couldn't spend 69 cents on a proper cover plate for the receptacle. He had to make his own. I couldn't get through more than 3 minutes of the video:happyno:

kwired

Electron manager
Aside from all the violations that we professionals could pick up on, and if you're looking at this through the eyes of a complete novice, the first thing that I would pick up on is that this guy couldn't spend 69 cents on a proper cover plate for the receptacle. He had to make his own. I couldn't get through more than 3 minutes of the video:happyno:

And after seeing what people will present on a site like this for a topic you do know about why would you go there looking for information on something you don't know anything about? Surely many others have seen something similar for something they have knowledge about. If I ever need a major surgery maybe I should go there and find out how to do it myself - I could save a lot of $$$

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

mtnelectrical

LoL, it was funny, I was pretty tired that day and sometimes I just keep typing, I remember there used to be a spell checker in this forum. What I meant was when it is necessary to put a sign, but I found the info already, NEC 702. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
LoL, it was funny, I was pretty tired that day and sometimes I just keep typing, I remember there used to be a spell checker in this forum. What I meant was when it is necessary to put a sign, but I found the info already, NEC 702. Thanks
Spell checker would not catch that as it is still a correctly spelled word, just not the right word for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.