Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

We have a washsink in a classified area . The service bay is classified upto 18". The connection point for the electric is about 14"off floor but the washsink I believe is not rated to be in this area. Any expierence with an issue like this? the 110v feed is about 19" off floor but there is a control transformer about 14" off floor. Would you hook this up?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
We have a washsink in a classified area . The service bay is classified upto 18". The connection point for the electric is about 14"off floor but the washsink I believe is not rated to be in this area. Any expierence with an issue like this? the 110v feed is about 19" off floor but there is a control transformer about 14" off floor. Would you hook this up?

If the code does not allow it then no way .

You would be creating an explosion hazard not worth it IMO.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is a case where the odds are heavily in your favor thatno problems will occur; however, should one occur, it could be a BIG one.
Several issues need to be considered:

• ventilation
  • control transformer overcurrent protection both the primary andsecondary
  • wiring methods from source to transformer and transformer towashsink

If you have a connection at 19" above floor and the first 18" is classified is this code compliant? If I remote the transformer will this work? Can you have 24v in this area ?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If you have a connection at 19" above floor and the first 18" is classified is this code compliant? If I remote the transformer will this work? Can you have 24v in this area ?
It would depend on the connection. Raceway boundary seals for Division 2 don't need to be explosionproof. See the last sentence of 501.15(B)(2). Cable seals are only required at terminations entering enclosures required to be explosionproof. [501.15(E)(1] Even assuming a 501.15(E)(3) cable (I almost always do) cables still wouldn't need to be sealed for the control transformer application.

But yes , you can mount the transformer remotely, if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.