crush/impact test for type MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbyrne

I'm trying to find 2 pieces of information:

1. How is a cable able to labelled a type MC cable? Does it have to meet UL 1569 (or some other UL standard)? If so, where is this stated?

2. What are the testing standards for the crush and impact tests that are part of UL 1569? Is this info kept under lock and key so that you have to purchase the standard?

I'm trying to confirm that some cables I purchased have passed the appropriate testing standards for crush/impact. My cables are labelled ITC-ER. NEC says that if an ITC cable has a "-ER" suffix, it has met the crush/impact requirements of an MC cable (727.4(5)). I'm trying to find what those exact requirements are. I think that it has to meet UL 1569, but would like that confirmed.

Thanks all.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Have you tried calling the manufacturer to get their information?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm trying to find 2 pieces of information:

1. How is a cable able to labelled a type MC cable? Does it have to meet UL 1569 (or some other UL standard)? If so, where is this stated?

2. What are the testing standards for the crush and impact tests that are part of UL 1569? Is this info kept under lock and key so that you have to purchase the standard?

I'm trying to confirm that some cables I purchased have passed the appropriate testing standards for crush/impact. My cables are labelled ITC-ER. NEC says that if an ITC cable has a "-ER" suffix, it has met the crush/impact requirements of an MC cable (727.4(5)). I'm trying to find what those exact requirements are. I think that it has to meet UL 1569, but would like that confirmed.

Thanks all.
One of the simplest ways is to download a copy of the UL Whitebook and look up Category Code PJAZ. You can use the same Category Code with their Online Cerifications Directory (check the "options" for Guide info only)

The Category Code for ITC is "NYTT."

All "Types" appended with "-ER" have met the crush and impact tests of UL 1569.

renosteinke

Looking at 727, I see there is also the requirement that the cable be "identified" for such use. This puts the ball squarely in the manufacturer's court; they sould provide the information.

I do not see any NEC requirement that MC has any crush or impact resistance at all. This suggests that any such requirements were imposed by UL when they first considered evaluating the product.

I would be VERY careful about buying the UL standard. TALK to UL, at length, to make sure you have the right standard. It is common for there to be completely separate UL standards defining specific tests. These tests are also, quite often, defined in terms of various ASTM or ANSI standards.

(As examples, the "Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher" standard does NOT discuss the test fires, and the "Stepladder" standard does not detail the specific ladder strength tests.)

Status
Not open for further replies.