taps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ner

I am running two 120V 20A circuits to a barn. one circuit for lights and one circuit for outlets. #6 AWG THWN is needed for voltage drop. The #6 wires will go into a 8x8x4 junction box before going to the lights and outlets. I would like to decrease the wire size from #6 to #12 to feed the lights and outlets. How many feet are the #12s allowed to be run?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome....
You entitled the thread "taps"..... In case your question addresses the over current protection, take a look at the definition of a tap in 240.2 If you feed the #6s with a 20 amp OCP device, the #12s are not a tap but mere;y an extension of the 20 amp circuit and, as far as overcuurent protection is concerned, there would be not length limitation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I am running two 120V 20A circuits to a barn. one circuit for lights and one circuit for outlets.
Depending on what code cycle you are working under, you may need to run a 4-wire to a sub-panel in the barn to be code compliant.
The 4 wire I understand, which Code cycle and Artical would require a sub-panel ?

Last edited by a moderator:

ner

My topic was misleading. Runing #6s to the lights and outlets is impracticle. The distance from the J box where the #6s enter and the lights and outlets (where i want to run #12s) is about 20 feet. I will end up having about 150 feet of #6 with about 20 feet of #12s connected to the end of the #6s. Do I really have to run #6s to the outlets or can I use the #12s for about 20 feet at the end of the run?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If the circuit is protected at 20 amps, you can change over to #12 at any point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The only way you can run 2 circuits to the separate structure is if they're a MWBC. As Augie stated the #12's will not be tap conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you need to hit a 2pole switch that is to be used as a disconnect before hitting the lights and outlets?

That is correct - but it does not need to contain overcurrent protection.

Don't forget your EGC will need to be a #6 also if the conductors are increased to #6. This rules out using a cable assembly with a 10 AWG EGC in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.