How to bond service neutral to service riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

Would you consider code-compliant (as I do consider to be code-compliant) this arrangement to meet 250.92NEC2008:
Bond the service neutral conducter to metal pipe riser near point of attachment with short aluminum conductor with split bolt and pipe grounding clamp.

Install a service head and use another clamp to anchor drop to riser thus removing the threaded rod from the interior of pipe riser which is currently the condition.

Attached please find photo of this.

I'm making this electrical inspection and both HO and EC want to control costs. To remove existing riser and make it continuous into meter enclosure is not what they want.
Thanks

bike id and PE110110 Violations 003.jpg

stew

a new mast with weatherhead and proper strike is what is the correct soltion in my opinion. the bonding of the mast is done when the mast is screwed into the hub on the meter base that now looks like it has a plastic bag stuffed in the hub. nasty looking and unsafe as it is.The rod thru the mast could cause chafing if the ser cable and disas
terous results!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Would you consider code-compliant (as I do consider to be code-compliant) this arrangement to meet 250.92NEC2008:
Bond the service neutral conducter to metal pipe riser near point of attachment with short aluminum conductor with split bolt and pipe grounding clamp.

Install a service head and use another clamp to anchor drop to riser thus removing the threaded rod from the interior of pipe riser which is currently the condition.

I'm making this electrical inspection and both HO and EC want to control costs. To remove existing riser and make it continuous into meter enclosure is not what they want.
Thanks

View attachment 6701

An abomination, but with the changes you prescribe, it may well be Code compliant (However, not in our area as SE cable can not be installed on masonry)

Looks like that SEU is within 3 feet of the window. What is protecting the SEU where it enters and exits the mast?

If I read 230.9 correctly as long as the cable has an overall jacket, it can be within 3 ft of the window

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would also question that installation falling under 230.50 (B)(1). A swingset and trash cans stacked arond the conductors would make the conductor subject to physical damage IMHO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree the 3' does not pertain to the cable with a jacket. I have never seen unjacketed service cable run on a wall in a residence. I was turned down years ago for installing a meter next to a window. He was new and I told him he should check with his superiors because he was barking up the wrong tree. I said it nicely, of course.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The riser is not Bonded. Aside from it is an abortion of an install, once you tie the Neutral/Grounded conductor to the riser it then needs to become a 4 wire all the way through the system. The way it sits, the riser pipe is now a conductor, if you put your right hand on the pipe and your left hand on the meter box, you could have a differance in potential. Especially if the grounded conductor is loose in the box, it could be deadly. :cry:

cmreschke

Disappointed that that came from my area. It is definitely not neat and workmanlike. It also looks like where it comes out of the top of the sleeve there is not a proper drip loop for the cable.

John120/240

Thanks

View attachment 6701

The meter can does not appear to be all that old IMHO. The sticker from Milbank ?? lower

right is not faded. A professional would have made this a compliant installation when he

changed the meter can IMHO. "HO and EC want to control cost" You don't always get

what you want. Do it right or walk away.

iwire

Staff member
The riser is not Bonded. Aside from it is an abortion of an install, once you tie the Neutral/Grounded conductor to the riser it then needs to become a 4 wire all the way through the system.

That is false.

The way it sits, the riser pipe is now a conductor, if you put your right hand on the pipe and your left hand on the meter box, you could have a differance in potential. Especially if the grounded conductor is loose in the box, it could be deadly.

The riser will be at the same potential as the meter enclosure over than the voltage drop on the neutral. Forgetting all other issuers the OP can bond the neutral to the riser.

Status
Not open for further replies.