Device Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnkapc

Where in the 2011 NEC does it state that you can no longer or cannot use a device (receptacle) to carry the circuit and that if you have more than one cable (romex/MC) in a receptacle box that it shall be pig-tailed? Inspector are making us pig-tail all wires for receptacles.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Where in the 2011 NEC does it state that you can no longer or cannot use a device (receptacle) to carry the circuit and that if you have more than one cable (romex/MC) in a receptacle box that it shall be pig-tailed? Inspector are making us pig-tail all wires for receptacles.

It's not required. But keep in mind if it is part of a MWBC, of course the neutral would have to be per 300.13(B). But that is not new-it's always been the case.

There is something that says that a recept has to be wire so that if that device is removed the other recpts on the circuit will not be affected...I know its there, I have to find it.

Should have checked 300.13 first...duh

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
There is something that says that a recept has to be wire so that if that device is removed the other recpts on the circuit will not be affected...I know its there, I have to find it.

Should have checked 300.13 first...duh

The only concern is that the grounded conductor of a Multi Wire Branch Circuit not be disrupted. If you shut down the rest of the circuit by removing an ungrounded/hot wire off a device the code doesn't care, it does care that you not put a high (phase to phase) voltage on the circuit by opening the neutral on a MWBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.