What's the code violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
See attachment.

Can you spot the code violations? :D

Also there's something about this panel that is pretty interesting to see nowadays, although not a code violation per se (AFAIK). It may not be strictly deducible from the picture though.

Attachments

• old panel.jpg
    old panel.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2

mike7330

Please put the panel cover back on!

Please put the panel cover back on!

Please put the panel cover back on! Nice knife switch with spare, Is that a feeder or a 20 amp, 120 volt branch feeding this panel.

resistance

LMBO!! I love the statement: Put the panel cover back on??LOL!!! Also, i love how they neatly routed the NM cable over the breaker sitting on the bottom of the cabinet:lol:. Wow, So much detail for a less important area in the box. :blink:

Gac66610

well for the obvious, open KO's, i dont see the bond for the panel, grounds grounded to each other nothing else? conduit with mains not properly installed (i think its a conduit)
1 line jumpered across to other (dont think its a violation)
well those are my guesses

hurk27

Now that is one back woods service upgrade, if that is the service panel all I can say is WOW

I don't think that fused knife disconnect is listed to be installed in that main lug panel 110.3 I have done many 120 volt 15 amp service upgrades, but I don't think I have ever run into one like this:happysad:

480sparky

I got a dollar that says the panel isn't rated for tandem breakers. Does the top left tandem feed a MWBC?

I see some double-lugging on the main.

Is that knife switch even original to the panel, or has someone jammed it in there?

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Non listed stuff in the panel.

Close that up and walk ,,,, no Run...........................fast

Or sell a complete upgrade.

Last edited:

hurk27

Does the top left tandem feed a MWBC?

It looks like the blue wire goes up into the far back 3/4" conduit with a black wire running round the bottom to the neutral bar, the bottom black wire on the tandem is coming out of the NM that ends right under it with the white going to the wire nut over the left main lug then on to the neutral bar?

resistance

At least a bug has a nice bridge (NM cable jumps over the breaker) to cross over?when having to pass that :lol: breaker on the bottom of the can:happyyes:

resistance

I think Hurk beat you to the mark by saying:I have done many 120 volt 15 amp service upgrades. Or does that count:happyyes::happysad:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Glad you guys enjoyed this...:lol:

i dont see the bond for the panel, grounds grounded to each other nothing else?
I don't believe there is a grounding electrode system of any kind at the house. Possibly a GEC coming out of the meter base, but I did not stick around to look.

conduit with mains not properly installed (i think its a conduit)
Actually that's the meter base directly above the panel.

Now that is one back woods service upgrade, if that is the service panel all I can say is WOW
Yup it's the service panel.

Please put the panel cover back on! Nice knife switch with spare, Is that a feeder or a 20 amp, 120 volt branch feeding this panel.

I think the knife switch is actually no longer doing anything, fortunately. You are correct that the panel is fed with only 120 volts, so I think you win for being the first to mention that.

I have done many 120 volt 15 amp service upgrades, but I don't think I have ever run into one like this:happysad:

I think you win, too, because you realized it's a 120V service. The service drop drop actually had the second leg coiled up and taped off outside the weatherhead.

The panel is fed 120V. Do I win?
...Your right. I did not see Hurk's post the first time.

Well if you're honest, then I guess you win too. :D

Non listed stuff in the panel.
Close that up and walk ,,,, no Run...........................fast
Or sell a complete upgrade.

That's pretty much what I did. 'Sorry sir, we can't install solar on your house unless you get a service upgrade.' :happyno: (They needed a new roof, too.)

I'm a little surprised people focused on the open KOs, I have to admit I didn't notice them while I was there, with everything else to look at.
No one mentioned white wire used for an ungrounded conductor... to jump the two busbars.

Amazingly, this panel doesn't violate the six handle service disconnecting means rule (because the lower left tandem breaker is not being used). The lack of a main breaker was what warned me I was in for something strange before I even took the cover off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.