Pier wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have just received some info from a community about fixing the wiring on their piers. They are requesting no junction boxes in the conduit runs due to the water that infiltrates the conduits freezing in the winter. I cannot think of a code prohibition against drilling weep holes in either the PVC conduits or JB's to allow drainage. Have I missed something?

jumper

I have just received some info from a community about fixing the wiring on their piers. They are requesting no junction boxes in the conduit runs due to the water that infiltrates the conduits freezing in the winter. I cannot think of a code prohibition against drilling weep holes in either the PVC conduits or JB's to allow drainage. Have I missed something?

I cannot comment on conduit, but I usually drill 1/8" weep holes in the bottom of JB/LBs in wet locations.

Some will scream I have violated the listing, but I say "Bah". I am un-repentent on this.:angel:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Priced accordingly, is it really a problem to fix their wiring without using junction boxes?

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Junction boxes are a bad idea on docks (or piers). No matter what, water will get in there. A properly designed system, won't need to have junction boxes, but I don't know what your scope of work is.
If you're starting from scratch, don't use them.

Also remember that all marina wiring has to be marine-rated.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Right now an underground 1.5 PVC leaves the panel and goes to a JB mounted on the seawall at the waterline. The 3/4s leave the JB and run to each finger pier for shore power.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Right now an underground 1.5 PVC leaves the panel and goes to a JB mounted on the seawall at the waterline. The 3/4s leave the JB and run to each finger pier for shore power.
Well I'd say it's pretty obvious what will have to be done to not use any junction boxes. Is the "community" aware of the scope of work and cost required to meet their request? ...vs. alternatives?

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Remember that any junction box (unless it's rated for submersible use) must be at least 12" above the datum line.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is "marine-rated" and where do I find a code rule that says that?

Look at 555.2. It says that the shore power receptacle has to be approved for marine use.
I'm in Washington State, so we have to also ONLY use enclosures that are corrosion resistant, which usually means stainless steel, plastic or polycarbonate.

Oh, and to answer the weep hole question. Look at 555.11, it says that gasketed enclosures need to have weep holes drilled. So I would drill a weep hole with no worries.

Oh, this is all 2008 NEC, but I don't think anything has changed for 2011.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Look at 555.2. It says that the shore power receptacle has to be approved for marine use.
I'm in Washington State, so we have to also ONLY use enclosures that are corrosion resistant, which usually means stainless steel, plastic or polycarbonate.

Oh, and to answer the weep hole question. Look at 555.11, it says that gasketed enclosures need to have weep holes drilled. So I would drill a weep hole with no worries.

Oh, this is all 2008 NEC, but I don't think anything has changed for 2011.
Yes, I agree that the "marine power outlet" has to be approved for marine use, but you said "all marine wiring" had to be approved for marine use and the code does not say that. As far as corrosion resistant enclosures, that is covered by 300.6.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, I agree that the "marine power outlet" has to be approved for marine use, but you said "all marine wiring" had to be approved for marine use and the code does not say that. As far as corrosion resistant enclosures, that is covered by 300.6.

Yes, you are correct. It's really only the shore power outlet that needs to say, "approved for marina use". I was also referring to (which I stated in my previous post) the fact that here in Washington State, you must use corrosion resistant enclosures. Our WAC rules state the following:

(5) For the purposes of NEC 555.10, all enclosures must be corrosion resistant. All gasketed enclosures must be
arranged with a weep hole to discharge condensation.

I wired a marina here once. I wasn't aware of the above rule, and the inspector made me install an already-installed NEMA 3R panel board inside a NEMA 4X enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.