Is this compliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I talked to the tech guy today and apparently he thought they used the neutral at the switch because it was safer for the operator of the switch. I told him there was still current on the switch legs since the motor lead and solenoid was wired with the hot-- it feeds thru the motor. He was surprised. I told him he should not do that in the future.

There is no led light. The pool guy said there was but there wasn't.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I talked to the tech guy today and apparently he thought they used the neutral at the switch because it was safer for the operator of the switch. I told him there was still current on the switch legs since the motor lead and solenoid was wired with the hot-- it feeds thru the motor. He was surprised. I told him he should not do that in the future.

There is no led light. The pool guy said there was but there wasn't.

Sounds like a pool guy to me. Last year, I had one try and tell me the 80' run for the cover switch (4 conductors) didn't need an EGC run in the pipe, "Because it is in PVC, and there is no where for the electricity to go". His exact words.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sounds like a pool guy to me.

Well the tech guy was the guy from the pool cover manufacturer. There is also no place to ground the switch as it is 2 dp stackable block switches. I guess the key part can never get energized- at least I hope.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Well the tech guy was the guy from the pool cover manufacturer. There is also no place to ground the switch as it is 2 dp stackable block switches. I guess the key part can never get energized- at least I hope.

Now there is the problem I had, well one of them. The suplied switch and box are pvc and have no place to connect an EGC. The installation instructions, on the one I had, stated clearly that you needed to add an EGC if you extended the length of the switch legs. By code if you run ungrounded conductors you need to also run an EGC. So if you extend the cover switch from one end of the pool to the other and you use pvc, what do you do with the EGC that you have run, since every part is plastic and the switch has no grounding lug on it. I just got creative and added a bonding bushing on the PVC male adaptor, then put the EGC on to it.....atleast it had an EGC run with it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If there is no place to land a ground and everything is plastic you still need the ground but you do not have to connect it to anything.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If there is no place to land a ground and everything is plastic you still need the ground but you do not have to connect it to anything.

I know, it only cost me a 1/2" bonding bushing and I felt all good inside for doing it that way. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.