Cabana (swimming pool) 60 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I had heard that the common on the panel should be grounded at a Poolside Cabana building over 3m away. i went to disconnect the panel that they be able to renovate the building, and discovered they had coiled/isolated the bare bonding wire of the supply #6/3c teck cable, removed the bonding screw to the common bus, and the armoured jacket was stripped back a few feet in the pipe. The panel had #6 copper bonding the enclosure to the equipment, and two #6 leading outside... one bonding pool, the other to a ground plate or towards system ground? Is isolating the bonding wire and armoured jacket going back to the supply panel and grounding the enclosure at the Cabana proper? Neutral/common is best ground source they say, and if short develops at Cabana with no bonding back to main panel regardless of how well the pool is as a ufer ground, would it clear the fault? I had heard the pool bond should go back to the Main Service Panel and not the actual system ground. Thanks again!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not familiar with teck cable so I won't address that but if the cabana is a detached structure then the neutral and grounding conductors should be isolated if you have an egc . In codes past a 3 wire cable was allowed and then the neutral was allowed to be bonded to the can. Grounding electrodes are also needed.

Is the jacket on teck cable an approved means of an egc? I assume not or is there an egc in the cable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Also what is the bonding wire you speak of? The equipotential bond. That does not need to go back to the panel.

powerplay

I am not familiar with teck cable so I won't address that but if the cabana is a detached structure then the neutral and grounding conductors should be isolated if you have an egc . In codes past a 3 wire cable was allowed and then the neutral was allowed to be bonded to the can. Grounding electrodes are also needed.

Is the jacket on teck cable an approved means of an egc? I assume not or is there an egc in the cable.

Teck cable reference in Canada is the armoured Industrial cable with copper conductors. ACWU is the industrial cable with aluminum conductors. For underground cable runs, the bonding conductor or bare copper wire (EGC?) in the sheath I connect to equipment bond, and remove the brass bonding screw from the sub panel. What had been done was the Cabana panel had the equipment bond from the supply cable, and spiral armoured aluminum sheath not connected to the panel.... preventing the "second ground" to "swimming pool ufer" through the bare copper bond wire I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.