Dential Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

I am looking at doing a renovation to a building for a dentist office. What I am planing on doing for power to the chairs is fish in HGMC in the existing wall to a junction box. From the JB change over to ridged that will go in a cutout trough in the concrete slab to the chair location. My question is how are these chairs connected? Hard wired, box with HG recp. under chair?

Gac66610

just finished one couple months ago .... they have a box on the floor under the chair to cover the receptacle you'll be adding, it just plugs in :)

normbac

Ones I have done required a 4 s box flat on ground for quad recep. Also rigid conduit to satisfy patient care requirements. Ask for specs on chair and make GC show location of chair.

dental chairs reply:

dental chairs reply:

it has been a couple of years since i last did a set of chairs, but if memory serves me correct, i had to run 3 conduits, pvc is fine, and of coarse, there was plumbing and air in the same trench that was also containing the electrical conduits...stubbed up out for where the chair will sit on top. there was three chairs on one side of the clinic and 3 on another side of the clinic with a hall between them. 3 chairs on one circuit, so there is conduit IN, from the closest wall to the first chair location, and from there conduit OUT, to the next and so on to the last chair of that side. the conduit ran up in the wall to the cieling so i may fish wire in at a later date.....Patterson Dental Technicians came out and set there own chairs up and did all the internal connections their selfs. the chairs don't consume much power at all

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
pvc is fine,
Not per the NEC but, FL has some strange inspectors from what I am told. (Of course that doesn't mean NC does not have it's share)

517.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article shall apply to electrical construction and installation criteria in health care facilities that provide services to human beings.

The requirements in Parts II and III not only apply to single-function buildings but are also intended to be individually applied to their respective forms of occupancy within a multifunction building
(e.g., a doctor’s examining room located within a limited care facility would be required to meet the provisions of 517.10).

517.10 Applicability.

(A) Applicability.
Part II shall apply to patient care areas of all health care facilities.

(B) Not Covered. Part II shall not apply to the following:

(1) Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms, and the like in clinics, medical and dental offices, and outpatient facilities

(2) Areas of nursing homes and limited care facilities wired in accordance with Chapters 1 through 4 of this Code where these areas are used exclusively as patient sleeping rooms
FPN: See NFPA 101?-2006, Life Safety Code?.
Note the bold in (2), the areas mentioned are not treatment or patient care areas.

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical Equipment in Patient Care Areas.
Wiring in patient care areas shall comply with 517.13(A) and (B).

(A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault current path by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable having a metallic armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or metallic cable armor, or sheath assembly shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 250.118.

Welcome to the forums

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.