Hand Hole Conduit Sealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Duct seal?
Is it a spec.?

Duct seal is what I was thinking about but no, it is not a spec. I'm designing the job and never used a hand hole as an underground conduit j- box before. Just wondering what the " norm " is out there. Makes sense to me but as we all know, undeground counduits generally hold water regardless.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Crushed stone, duct seal, bushings for the #4's and the all important polaris blue.

DSCN0910.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Chris, do you guys ever use bell ends or only male adapters and plastic bushings?

I agree with the duct seal, keeps the sand and debris out of the conduit.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Chris, do you guys ever use bell ends or only male adapters and plastic bushings?

I agree with the duct seal, keeps the sand and debris out of the conduit.

If an inspector wanted to be really anal, I believe he could tag you on couplings on the ends of conduit. Is a coupling listed as a conduit termination? A terminal adaptor is. Why throw them a bone over something that really doesn't cost me any more?

chris kennedy

Occupation
Oh yes of coarse. Box adapters. Use them all the time also. Great invention for squeezing nipples in between existing gear.:thumbsup:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I see, those slide over the conduit not into it? Never seen those.

And whats that little flange at the bottom for?

I couldn't tell ya...?

They work great though, just like pictured, slip them over the cut end of the pipe and it's an instant bushing. Work great. And it only takes one part instead of two to do the same thing. They are a regular stocked item at our supply houses, I'm surprised you haven't seen them?

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
We use bell ends on PVC and bushings on GRS then seal with duct seal or foam

Status
Not open for further replies.