multifamily unit feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

hello all. quick question on individual sub feeds for multi family dwelling. I am installing a 5 gang meter pack and my plan is to use 6/3 romex for individual 60 amp sub feeds to units. my questiion is this. I would like to use a gutter underneath meter pack to start romex runs. Can this gutter be shared with these subfeeds since they are on the load side of mains or do I need individual Junction boxes. I believe gutter can be shared on load side but can't seem to find code section. If anyone has code section for this I would be very greatful .... Thanks all.

bobbymari

thanks for speedy response much appreciated. i've seen it done many times just having trouble finding code section incase i get one of THOSE inspectors. This is in an area I don't normally work in.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.79(d)

I wouldn't think 230.79(D) would apply as these are not service conductors.

To me, 215.2 would be applicable, but for a #6 Romex with a 55 amp ampacity a load caluclation would be needed before it could be connected to a 60 amp OCP device.

CONDUIT

Look in article 100 under definition of "one family dwelling" and then under definition of " building". Why would individual dwelling units in a multifamily dwelling be any different than a single family dwelling as far as sizing the service at a minimum of 100 amps?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Look in article 100 under definition of "one family dwelling" and then under definition of " building". Why would individual dwelling units in a multifamily dwelling be any different than a single family dwelling as far as sizing the service at a minimum of 100 amps?

My thoughts at first, but keep in mind, the conductors to the dwelling unit in this case are not service conductors but feeders which IMO can be sized per 215.2 (Art 220, etc).
The service conductors feed the complex of individual units.

bobbymari

thanks guys for your input . got a little of base here question was in regards to gutters but your input is much appreciated. yes load calcs were done for 60 amp subfeed breakers on 60 ampers. load calcs are under 40 amps per unit. and thanks for the definitions refresher haven't been there in a while one family dwelling= building consisting of one dwelling unit multi family= three or more dwelling units i/e 5 gang meter pak

Status
Not open for further replies.