Grocery Store Deli/Display case disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the middle of a design of a few sections of a super market, namely the deli right now. There are multiple refrigerated cases all over this and other departments, so if I figure it out once I'm good to go.

Lets take one deli refrigerated display case. The unit isn't self contained, the refrigerant is piped in from a central system. This unit is accessible by employees from the rear and has glass on all sides to allow the customer to see the meats and cheeses they want. There is a lighting circuit needed (draws 7A), a refrigerant motor circuit needed (draws 3A) and a circuit for Danfoss control. [This information is from a crappy spreadsheet from the manufacturer]. All of this is 120V. Most of these units have a switch built into the unit to cycle power - I will have to verify for each unit as the "cut sheets" I have are little more than sketches showing entry points.

The owner wants and has similar units hardwired at other stores and locations, but I am unsure if that is code permissible and my reasoning is as follows: Section 440 NEC 2008 deals with refrigeration equipment. Under location of disconnecting means it needs to be within sight. The panel is located some distance away and is not within sight. So I suggested using lockable cord and plugs, but this would require 3 sets for one unit if I have to disconnect all three circuits (lights, motors, Danfoss). Owner doesn't like that. We can possibly locate motor rated switches under the units if needed but he still isn't excited about this as he doesn't have it that way at other stores. In this situation, what kind of disconnecting means is necessary or acceptable? If you have installed or designed cases similar to this before, how did you wire and provide disconnecting means and what was your code basis?
I know there are probably some details missing from this account so please reply with any and all questions.

As a note, some of the refrigerated cases have motors that draw less than 300VA, so would the provisions of NEC 2008 422.31(A) apply to these, even if there are extra circuits for lighting and built in receptacles?

iwire

Staff member
Since 97 I have worked for two large ECs that built many large supermarkets. I would bet between the two of them triple digits worth of stores spread between Maryland to Maine, with the lions share of them in MA, RI and CT.

Anyway I have never seen additional field installed disconnects at each case.

Each evaporator fan motor plugs in and that is the motor disconnecting means

The light fixtures will have switches on, or in the case.

If there are anti-condensate circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

If there are electric defrost circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

Control circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

Before rocking the boat you may want to look at other similar installations in the same area.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing wrong with lockable breakers in this case and as iwire said most individual items within the unit already have a disconnecting means somewhere on the unit anyway.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Since 97 I have worked for two large ECs that built many large supermarkets. I would bet between the two of them triple digits worth of stores spread between Maryland to Maine, with the lions share of them in MA, RI and CT.

Anyway I have never seen additional field installed disconnects at each case.

Each evaporator fan motor plugs in and that is the motor disconnecting means

The light fixtures will have switches on, or in the case.

If there are anti-condensate circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

If there are electric defrost circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

Control circuits, no local disconnecting means at all.

Before rocking the boat you may want to look at other similar installations in the same area.

I did one large super market and it was just like Bob said, but there were no light switches in the cases. Everything was DC'd by the breakers in the compressor rooms.

Bob, was one of the contractors you worked for 'Stafford - Smith' by any chance?

Thanks guys, After listening to you all and reading through the code some I think our justification for disconnecting means for these devices will be using the CB as well as any switches or plugs installed inside the case. I'm going to specify lockable breakers on the larger cases just to be sure.

As iwire said, the POS stuff is mostly plug-in, but we are not fooling with that part of the store. I would venture to say that about 50% of my work is going to be cooler related so this was a big one to figure out; i just needed a justification for what I saw installed everywhere.

Size of the unit seems to matter if I'm using section 422.31 (A) & (B) as my justification. Anything greater than 300VA needs to be lockable if located out of sight. I can make them all lockable, but I see no need really, especially for the smaller units that draw only one or 2 amps.

kwired

Electron manager
Size of the unit seems to matter if I'm using section 422.31 (A) & (B) as my justification. Anything greater than 300VA needs to be lockable if located out of sight. I can make them all lockable, but I see no need really, especially for the smaller units that draw only one or 2 amps.

2008 NEC:
422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(A) Rated at Not over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

As I said size does not make any difference as to whether or not disconnect is required or where it is located, only makes a difference of whether it needs to be lockable if not within site. Really makes no sense why it should matter. I guess they think a 1/8 hp motor can't injure anybody if it starts unexpectedly, and as far as risk of shock hazards - voltage is still voltage whether 1/8 hp or 200 hp is being supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.