Wire nuts or polaris taps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

About a year ago we had a job where we replaced and existing 60A panel inside a studio with a new panel. The feeds were a few inches too short. #6 wire, 60 A, Blue wire nuts(NOT THE SMALL ONES).
So anyway, the inspector comes and tells me to install polaris taps, because, being a feeder he doesn't feel comfortable with wire nuts.
I mean 60A is 60A? right, wether is a 60A motor or a 60A Panel?
He passed me, but told me to install them. And he's always been nice to me that way, never made me call for another inspections for minor things. And I always make sure I change those things the inspectors request based on trust. So I changed them to polaris taps. Nothing worse than losing an inspector trust.
But, anyway, back to the question, does it matter?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
About a year ago we had a job where we replaced and existing 60A panel inside a studio with a new panel. The feeds were a few inches too short. #6 wire, 60 A, Blue wire nuts(NOT THE SMALL ONES).
So anyway, the inspector comes and tells me to install polaris taps, because, being a feeder he doesn't feel comfortable with wire nuts.
He passed me, but told me to install them. And he's always been nice to me that way, never made me call for another inspections for minor things. And I always make sure I change those things the inspectors request based on trust. So I changed them to polaris taps. Nothing worse than losing an inspector trust.

I personally would have used split bolts, but as long as the wirenut was listed for 2 #6's he really couldn't say anything as far as it not being to code.
What you did is what I would have done.
I pick my fights and that one would not be worth getting an inspectors back hairs up over. You would pay for it at a later time TBD.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as the connector is listed for the conductor combination used then it's code compliant. I don't see inspector discomfort listed as a violation in the NEC. The real question is were the blue wirenuts listed for 2-#6 AWG conductors?

Strife

The real question is were the blue wirenuts listed for 2-#6 AWG conductors?

Aren't they ALL? I mean the large blue wire nuts? Obviously you couldn't twist a SMALL blue on 2-#6
I mean "MAXIMUM 1-#6 WITH 2-#8" qualifies for 2-#6? don't you think?
I mean the Ideal B4 is for 2-#6 maximum, this is smaller than the B454 which I used, which I are good for the MAXIMUM of 1-#6 and 2-#8(again, I'm pretty sure 2-#8 are a little more than 1-#6).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

what does his feelings have to do with it?

he is just the inspector. what he wants has no bearing on what is acceptable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Aren't they ALL? I mean the large blue wire nuts? Obviously you couldn't twist a SMALL blue on 2-#6
I mean "MAXIMUM 1-#6 WITH 2-#8" qualifies for 2-#6? don't you think?
No I don't think so. The only combintations that the connector is listed for are shown on the instruction sheet or the box. It appears that one is not listed for use with two #6s.
I would use a butt splice for that type of connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.